Design - Predators - Thoughts

clarkbre

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Snohomish, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Working on my coop and want some of your thoughts on design and rodent control.

The run will be separate and the coop design will be more like a small shed. The floor is framed in 2x4 with 3/4" CDX for the floor. The walls will be framed with 2x3's and sided with T1-11 that will extend down and attach to the bottom of the 2x4 floor framing. With that, do I need to add any 1/2" metal mesh behind the T1-11 or anything? The main door will shut tight with wood stops and the windows will be hinged and used as vents. I will be putting the 1/2" metal mesh behind the windows as screens to prevent rodents from getting in there. My plan is to also use an automated chicken door to keep them in once they roost.

Here are a few pics of the current progress. Trying to make it secure.

Basic design:
Coop.jpg

Floor framing:
Coop 1.jpg

Floor set on blocks with 3/4 plywood nailed down:
Coop 2.jpg

Framed wall. T1-11 will cover wall, plywood floor and pressure treated 2x4:
Coop 3.jpg

For reference, this was the coop and run at our old house.

Attachments

• 2014-07-20 17.19.09.jpg
    2014-07-20 17.19.09.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
What a WONDERFUL project for your kids to help with!!! They'll have a vested interest of caring for the chickens that will enrich their lives!
Thank you. We moved over the summer and the buyers of our home wrote the coop into the contract. The kiddos were too young to remember the first build so it's been very fun having them pound nails and asking for their opinions on design. They love it.

Another update post. After work today, I was able to get the roof rafter vents screened, the roof sheethed and the trim boards installed. Overall, I'm happy Aart suggested taking those blocks out. I calculated it and the 8 openings give about 2 sq feet of ventilation. I still need to secure the screen to the underside of the roofing plywood.

Ready for roofing material and the cupola.
20210421_181513.jpg

1/2" hardware cloth installed between the rafters. I used Teks 3/4" long screws to secure it.
20210421_181553.jpg

My little helper today. He pretended to be a chicken and was having fun.
20210421_181724.jpg

Remove/leave these pieces out, for ventilation.
Nice roof overhangs!

View attachment 2626200
You convinced me to remove them. Each rafter space opening will have 1/2" hardware cloth. Each side will have (4) 22x2.5" vents and the center of the roof will have a vented cupola to help move air up. The windows will also tilt out from the bottom and provide 17"×48" venting on each side of the coop during warmer weather.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom