Plywood types?

Ytuni

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
Until I started researching construction materials for my coop, I never realized how many types of plywood there are! I'm planning to build the Third Coast Craftsman's coop design so my walls will be T1-11. But what about the floor of the coop? Sheathing, hardwood, oriented, sanded? The design just specifies 1/2" plywood. Thanks!

Since it's rather small and not a walk in, anything with a smooth side would work ok.
Not a great design IMO, those roosts are ridiculous and I hope they left the rafter gaps open at the soffits.

Until I started researching construction materials for my coop, I never realized how many types of plywood there are! I'm planning to build the Third Coast Craftsman's coop design so my walls will be T1-11. But what about the floor of the coop? Sheathing, hardwood, oriented, sanded? The design just specifies 1/2" plywood. Than
Sheathing plywood will be fine and more economical if you plan on covering you floor with something like linoleum for ease of cleaning. If you are just going to have the wood - painted or not - then use either sanded plywood or if you can find pieces of the sheathing plywood with one good side - ie no knot holes or surface defects that would catch stuff, you can use it.
Good luck on your build!

Until I started researching construction materials for my coop, I never realized how many types of plywood there are! I'm planning to build the Third Coast Craftsman's coop design so my walls will be T1-11. But what about the floor of the coop? Sheathing, hardwood, oriented, sanded? The design just specifies 1/2" plywood. Thanks!
It's one of those, it depends questions...
The design of the coop has a bearing as does the climate.
Very roughly the best option for construction is marine plywood. One doesn't have to paint this and that can be a considerable saving in costs.

There are different standards of marine ply.
What one is paying for is glue type, wood type and the amount of voids in the laminates.
BS1088 (should be a world wide standard) is a top tier marine ply. This would be good for floors and roofs.
If you are in America the standard to look for is APA. Probably worth looking for outside certification for this.

Back
Top Bottom