Input on new coop? Changes/suggestions?

Sonya9

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
Relocating to Arkansas and construction will start on my dream coop in 2 weeks. Design calls for a 8x24 insulated wood building (walk-in) with covered runs. Summers can hit 95-100, it rarely snows in winter but temps can drop to 0 and my birds are NOT cold tolerant. See floor plan and pics that show the general style of cages/runs.

Does the overall layout look practical?
Enough windows?
Cement or wood floor? Thinking cement may help prevent temperature extremes.
This will house 3 OEG Bantam pairs, 6-8 layers and 3 standard roosters.

Thanks!
Chicken Coop 3.jpg
bantam pens.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
The cement will be sitting on the ground. This will help to keep it cooler. Just the same, I would cover the cement with vinyl flooring for ease of cleaning. You will have to let the vinyl outgas before you put it in. Or, get something that has been in the store for a long time.

I would not insulate. The birds will huddle together if they are cold. I don't think your temperature drop would last long enough to do damage to the chickens. They will be out of the wind, and that makes a difference. Ask folk in your new area if their chickens tolerate the occasional cold spells.

I like the metal roof. If lightening strikes the metal will disperse the electricity across the entire roof, reducing the chance of fire. I would prefer more overhang on the roofs so you get less rain in the run and more shade in both the run and coop.

You need ventilation along the top.

The cement will be sitting on the ground. This will help to keep it cooler. Just the same, I would cover the cement with vinyl flooring for ease of cleaning. You will have to let the vinyl outgas before you put it in. Or, get something that has been in the store for a long time.

I would not insulate. The birds will huddle together if they are cold. I don't think your temperature drop would last long enough to do damage to the chickens. They will be out of the wind, and that makes a difference. Ask folk in your new area if their chickens tolerate the occasional cold spells.

I like the metal roof. If lightening strikes the metal will disperse the electricity across the entire roof, reducing the chance of fire. I would prefer more overhang on the roofs so you get less rain in the run and more shade in both the run and coop.

You need ventilation along the top.
Thanks for the input! And yes I will use 12 ft metal roofing panels over 11 ft runs for some overhang. Runs face the South so they should get enough sun.

Will just use BlackJack57 on the floor (and poop shelves, and ramps, and everywhere else poop lands inside. Will add venting too.

I am in Georgia (warmer climate than Arkansas) and just had a rooster get frostbite on his comb 2 weeks ago when the hen house temp dropped to 28 degrees. Yes, I did clean it out to make sure it was dry inside but his comb is huge. Temps down to 0 scare the heck out of me.

Back
Top Bottom