Designed and Built Incubator - Have to start somewhere!

Ok, I've got my starter mini fridge. I picked it up for $25, it's a Danby wine cooler came with 3 fans, a heater and lights that I will have to relocate and configure for optimization. Any recommendations on location of the heater and fans would be much appreciated. It has 6 wooden racks that should work great for the egg turners. I also need to grab a temp controller and a humidity controller along with a humidifier. I'm excited about this find, plastic on the inside, Stainless on the outside with a full glass door. I hope it works as well as I anticipate.

can not tell from the picture as the electronics are already removed but it looks like a peltier cooler. if its a peltier then you just reverse 2 wires and add a temp sensor and its done.

link to a peltier incubator/hatcher I built https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/976303/building-a-incubator-from-a-wine-cooler

ignore the controller as it can be done with simply adding a temp switch
Wow! Thanks, I'm not sure I'm electronically savvy enough to tackle that, but you are right it does look like the same system. You are definitely several pay scales above me with the eleoctronics. I was thinking of a more simple system. draw air in from vents and allow the temp, humidity controllers to hold the interior steady. Nice job on your's for sure.

I see you have a ptc heater in one picture so that should make a nice heat source. One trick is to add extra fans then use a power supply that's lower voltage to mix the air. Running a 12vdc at 6 to 9 vdc makes the fan run slower so instead of blowing the air around it mixs the air. At the heater you still want to use a full speed fan to keep the air moving and to prevent the heater getting to hot.

In mine I have a small fan mounted in one top corner blowing across the incubator to mix the air. You are also going to find that very little moisture equals high humidity so you will either have to be a hands on type hatcher that opens the door a few times a day or you will need a small vent to allow some of the humidity to escape and fresh air to enter.

I find trays at the dollar store are the best thing to use in the hatcher on the shelfs. just add plastic mesh to the bottom then place onto the wooden shelfs. When hatching runners and jumpers tie wrap 2 trays together to make a cage especially with quail as they hatch and 3 minutes later there jumping out of the trays. If you hatch on the floor then be careful as the lip at the front near the door is slippery and sloped so chicks tend to end up there. When you open the door they fall out and if you don't notice you may close the door on one of them. I need to add a plastic mesh fence to stop them doing that on mine.

you do very neat work so im looking forwards to seeing what you come up with.

That ok because i have a feeling he is going to make a very nice incubator. I'm excited to learn about it.

My next project is going to be a venture into candling, but first modify the incubator and set more eggs. Melamb make a thread and post a link. I want to subscribe!

The list of changes is:

1. make a storage area for auto turner on the bottom.

2. Proper drawer liner

3. New humidifier external to the bator.

4. Seal the wood with agri life lumber seal.

5. Reposition temp sensors.

6. Cut areas in the floor for glass water dishes to sit flush and mount a funnel to refill them.

7. Consider another fan to control cold spots and hot spots.

I really appreciate the input, ideas, even just views. I will keep tweaking this project and start on a hatcher.

I see you have a ptc heater in one picture so that should make a nice heat source. One trick is to add extra fans then use a power supply that's lower voltage to mix the air. Running a 12vdc at 6 to 9 vdc makes the fan run slower so instead of blowing the air around it mixs the air. At the heater you still want to use a full speed fan to keep the air moving and to prevent the heater getting to hot.

In mine I have a small fan mounted in one top corner blowing across the incubator to mix the air. You are also going to find that very little moisture equals high humidity so you will either have to be a hands on type hatcher that opens the door a few times a day or you will need a small vent to allow some of the humidity to escape and fresh air to enter.

I find trays at the dollar store are the best thing to use in the hatcher on the shelfs. just add plastic mesh to the bottom then place onto the wooden shelfs. When hatching runners and jumpers tie wrap 2 trays together to make a cage especially with quail as they hatch and 3 minutes later there jumping out of the trays. If you hatch on the floor then be careful as the lip at the front near the door is slippery and sloped so chicks tend to end up there. When you open the door they fall out and if you don't notice you may close the door on one of them. I need to add a plastic mesh fence to stop them doing that on mine.

you do very neat work so im looking forwards to seeing what you come up with.
Thanks for the info gpop, I was thinking of venting through the top, but I'm not sure what size hole yet. Guess I'll start small and enlarge if I need to. I'll definitely do a shakedown cruise before running real eggs. I've got a lot going on right now, so I'll be thinking on this a while.

Melamb13 what a cool cabinet. I am jealous. Im excited to hear more about it as it is built.
Thanks coleco, I'll start a thread once I get started on this project. So far all I've done is gut the electrical and refrig unit. I can't believe I found this at such a great price, the guy posted it on Craigslist about a month ago and I tried several times to buy it, but got no response from him, finally he responded yesterday and I jumped on it. I'm looking forward to getting started, hopefully this weekend or sooner.

Back
Top Bottom