"Designer" dogs or just plain old mutts?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Im Here for both mutts and pure breds. I mean I am totally with you - the dog should speak fro its self. No pure bred is any better than a mutt. Simple. The are both dogs. I m just itched up because of all the new " designers" when there are enough dogs out already in shelters that need help - even when the shelters are idiots.

coped from akc.org from the mini schnauzer standard...

Color
The recognized colors are salt and pepper, black and silver and solid black. All colors have uniform skin pigmentation, i.e. no white or pink skin patches shall appear anywhere on the dog.

I see your family breeds parti colored schnauzers, which are not bred according to the breed standards, which would be considered no different from "designer breeds" from where i'm sitting. What is the difference between off standard purebreds and mixed breed designer dogs? This is an open question to all BYC'ers and not intended to denigrate or put down anyone else's breeding progam. In fact I really REALLY wanted one of your puppies from your last litter, but I stayed strong and did not buy one....

Our white mama was a shelter dog, and we found a woman with a white male who wanted a pup. So we bred her and kept one of her pups. Our Salt and pepper ( we say grey because her fur does not have alot of the multi colors that make up the salt and pepper , is also a shelter dog. George that we just got from pet land is in fact a salt and pepper schnauzer. I just didnt have room for all that in my sig.

Scnauzers originated from Germany a couple hundred years ago - so how are mine designer dogs?
sickbyc.gif

OOOOh this is a stay away topic But, I can't HA! Its all about money money money. Basically if you have a Quality purbred dog/animal you are not going to want to breed to mix. Its generally the not so good dogs that end up in someones hands maybe even limited reg. So then you find another and create designer then you go to the CKC(Not Canadian Kennel Club)for your mutt/designer papers. these papers mean nothing. You just pay for paper. This quote registery just sells pieces of paper that say what the(Hate to say breeder)person wants it to say. To even create a breed takes years and years and years. To get excepted to the real reg.(UKC,AKC,CKC) a whole lot of work if you ever get it. Now lets go to these shelters who want follow ups for the adobted animals these are extremist. I cannot even be around people like this. Oh! they are just seriously over kill and when you speak to them you see, these people are not that smart!!!!
old.gif

Quote:
Lol, silly goose. Nobody on here is saying that pure breeds are better and that mutts don't deserve to live
lau.gif

What we are saying is that it is we find it silly that people are expected to PAY (with money) the same amount for a mutt as they would a pure breed (sometimes more). And I am talking 600-1000 dollars for a mutt.

The reason pure breed cost so much is because you are paying for papers and for the perks (like showing) that come with a pure breed, and since you dont get those papers and perks with a mutt, you shouldn't be expected to pay as much or more for a mutt.

I hope that cleared up our intent and what was trying to be said
thumbsup.gif

Our dogs are "rescued dogs". Star was gotten when she was 4 weeks old because the litter was unexpected and not a purebred litter. She is now almost 5 years old and the love of her daddy's eye.
23574_dsc00022_edited_-_copy.jpg

Ginger was given to us by the person that rescued her from a puppy mill that was throwing her away...literally. They had left both Ginger (5 years old) and her brother ( blind and 7 years old) with a person at a grocery store to give to animal control when they showed up, they even left the papers with them. She is defineatly a momma's girl all the way.
23574_ginger_001.jpg

I am not for these designer dogs that I keep seeing everywhere for a lot of money. The puppy mills are running amuck with them in this area.

The " LESSOR NEWFOUNDLAND DOG " is now called the Labrador Retriever, the most popular dog in the country. The breed has absolutely zero to do with anything from or in Labrador. And comes directly from NEWFOUNDLAND BLOOD. So, it is ALWAYS for money.
Hey, I have a mix. Let's call him an INDIANA BEAR DOG, intenally bred to look like a Bear. The only other Breed that has BEAR in its name, looks nothing like a BEAR. So, now I have INDIANA BEAR DOGS available to anyone foolish enough to pay me hundreds of dollars.
IT IS ALL MARKETING!!

FORSALE!! Some INDIANA BEAR DOG PUPS,
should look like AUGZILLA, varieties are Black and Brown Bears

366642551.jpg

And the guy who bred this dog, did actually want to create a huge headed dog to protect and detour anything that wants to come onto ones property. I live in a rougher multi ethnic area that has alot of folks who forget what is their property and what is ours.
AUGGIE helps remind them

366642552.jpg

Breed standards were created by the parent clubs (dedicated fanciers) of each breed. There are often 'incorrect' coloring or 'disqualifying' coloring in breeds that do occur on occasion, but the decisions were made that what constitutes such and such a breed would not include those. Sometimes, when breeds are introduced to new countries, different lines of thought are in place (ex. All Belgian breeds ~~ Groenandael, Tervuren, Malinois & Laekean ~~ are varieties of the same breed in all countries except USA, where they are considered separate breeds) and (ex. Keeshond come in silver/blk & red/blk in their native country but only the silver/blk is recognized in the USA.)

Other colorings may have been introduced in an accidental cross breeding (which is what happened in schnauzers ... I understand they were crossed with westies and then crossed back and that is where the white comes from). Then the 'white' is said to be rare, which it should be since it was never a coloring associated with schnauzers.

That is one of the reasons AKC introduced DNA testing. That kind of thing was difficult to police before. Now it is much more difficult to do such things and get away with and maintain AKC registration, but nothing can be done about the past.

Also, many names of breeds have nothing to do with the origination of the dog. Examples: Labrador Retriever is one (mentioned above). Australian Shepherd (not from Australian, it is an American developed breed of dog).

Last edited:
I would never even think of saying a mutt doesn't deserve to live. Goodness no!!! I have spent my entire life surrounded by wonderful, beautiful, intelligent mutts. One of my best dogs ever came from a woman who bred Saint Bernards and Brittney Spaniels. OOPSY the two breeds accidentally got together for a little romp. I was a kid then, got her free at a yard sale. Now they would most likely try to claim it was deliberate and sell her for several hundred dollars. That is my point. I am seeing more and more people getting what are obviously uh oh litters and claiming they meant to do that. They aren't getting pet quality dogs spayed and neutered and letting them breed because they can make a few bucks. I take issue with that no matter what the breed or the mixed breed. My precious little sweetheart I sleep with every night is something that started with a chihuahua mix mother (most likely a designer by her looks) and got bred to who knows what. The mother was dumped and I got one of the babies. I love her dearly and she is my family. So no, I am NOT anti-mutt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom