Designing a new incubator... Any input and advice will be greatly appreciated!

It looks like it is gonna be nice. I think the water dish will work better behind the divider anyway. The direct heat from the bulbs might heat it more making it easier to raise humidity. That's what I'd expect anyway. Myself, I would add another fan below the lights blowing up over them. I think it might equalize the temps better. Again just a guess on my part. I have read that a fan blowing over the bulbs will extend their life though.
Good idea
smile.png
I'll play around with fan placement this weekend.

Quote:
In the sketch the fan is blowing right over the top tray, but I will play around with the placement of the fan so it doesn't blow right over the eggs. Maybe lift it higher? As I've said, I need a lot of suggestions as I want this to be perfect. Over here in South Africa proper incubators are just too expensive to buy

Quote: In the sketch the fan is blowing right over the top tray, but I will play around with the placement of the fan so it doesn't blow right over the eggs. Maybe lift it higher? As I've said, I need a lot of suggestions as I want this to be perfect. Over here in South Africa proper incubators are just too expensive to buy
I would place it at the top of the incubator blowing through a hole like you have in the pic provided. this will force the air over the bulbs and cause really good circulation of air. By looking at the drawing I don't think you will have air blowing directly on the eggs as they will be on a tray a few inches lower in the bator. Looking Good !

How is it coming along? Do you think you'll get it done in time? I am getting SO excited for the hatchalong!
wee.gif

How is it coming along? Do you think you'll get it done in time? I am getting SO excited for the hatchalong!
wee.gif

It's still where it was... We live on a farm and I don't go to town every day. I schedule everything for either a Tuesday or a Friday when I do drive into town... So I will be buying the fasteners tomorrow, as well as some magnet strips to keep the door shut, the relay switch for the fan and the glass... I'm going to try my best to have it done Saturday evening, everything is basically ready it's just a matter of putting it all together... I'm getting egg-cited too! I've got 20 eggs collected already
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

It's so frustrating... I was planning on starting this morning (it's 6:40pm here now), but then my husband had to work, this afternoon when he got home, he was too tired. We finally started around 2 hours ago, but now the compressor we are using to pop in the rivets to assemble the box won't co-operate...
he.gif
I will post a few pics as soon as we can get this darn thing to work...I'm hiding behind my pc while hubby is cursing at the compressor
hide.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures I was inspired by the coolerbator .That you can find on this site. I did this one first...

Now this worked real good for a hatcher<> unless you get some kind of turner,where you don't have to open it up They work great. I had some issues stabilizing temps after opening it. So I used it as a hatcher,so I did not open it much. Build it cheap.,about $15.

Then came across this little guy, this holds temp great. Even if i open the door for a few second to a minute it pops right back to temp in about a 2 to 3 minutes. After it hit correct temps. it will hold it for about 5 to 7 minutes before the lights come back on. Then they are on about 30 sec. I use two 40 watts it does great. Setting eggs in my Styrofoam gen 1588 soon . Excited to see it in action... Looking for a much bigger Refrigerator to gave a top & bottom combo, Have the incubator on top and the hatcher below.
smile.png

Then came across this little guy, this holds temp great. Even if i open the door for a few second to a minute it pops right back to temp in about a 2 to 3 minutes. After it hit correct temps. it will hold it for about 5 to 7 minutes before the lights come back on. Then they are on about 30 sec. I use two 40 watts it does great. Setting eggs in my Styrofoam gen 1588 soon . Excited to see it in action... Looking for a much bigger Refrigerator to gave a top & bottom combo, Have the incubator on top and the hatcher below.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom