Designing a portable pen for rotation with organic garden beds...

AliciaDuckLady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hello,

As the mother of three lovely ducks in suburbia it has become neccessary to build a better system to graze our girls. At the moment we have a fully enclosed pen at the back of the yard with a duck house within. Shown on my profile pic.the grass is long gone though, thus the need to rotate the yard. I need to upgrade to some sort of enclosed fencing system that I can move around easily, over the garden beds as well. I'm thinking timber frames with wire that I can bolt or even cable tie together to create a flexible pen system? For the roof I have been using bird netting to prevent sea eagles in the area having any chance for attack. If anyone has done similar or could direct me to some resources please :) Would love to use recycled materials and for it to be simple, I'm not the best at building...yet :) Thank you!

I will be watching this thread with interest. I want to do something similar with my chickens and my vege patch. Thinking its a good spot to put a broody chook. Might as well still be making use of them :)

I was thinking an A frame out of timber that I could sit over the raised garden bed.

Great, I have seen many a chicken tractor but would like this to be a bit more flexible and modular. Will be sketching up some ideas soon, then onto the build. I have about six weeks until it needs to be done for the new ducklings. This could turn out interesting or hilarious :)

I want mine to be used both over a bed but also to be able to go on the grass if I haven't got a bed ready for them to scratch in.

I've got some old lattice frame timber I thought if try and recycle.

Back
Top Bottom