Designing a split enclosure and questioning an open coop.

Aki no niwatori

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia, Upson
So i am going to be raising two separate flocks. One of andalusian and a second of mixed red feathered birds. They both will have a rooster which is why I want to build separate enclosures. I was hoping to design one that simply split one space in the interest of conserving materials.
I am also curious about coops themselves. Currently my three hens are with my parents flock and Ive noticed they rarely use their coop at all. Is an enclosed building truly necessary? Or would they be fine with a sheltered space? I live in Georgia so most of the year it is warm to hot.
Looking for suggestions.

Is an enclosed building truly necessary? Or would they be fine with a sheltered space? I live in Georgia so most of the year it is warm to hot.
An enclosed coop is not necessary.

They need a place with no wind and no rain, for sleeping and for hanging out in bad weather. That takes more walls in some climates than in others. Yes, "Open air coop" is one term for what I think you are talking about: one or more walls that are just wire mesh, but a solid roof and the right number of solid walls (or partial walls) to provide the right amount of shelter.

So i am going to be raising two separate flocks. One of andalusian and a second of mixed red feathered birds. They both will have a rooster which is why I want to build separate enclosures. I was hoping to design one that simply split one space in the interest of conserving materials.
When you are framing the enclosures, just frame a wall/fence at the same time, to divide them. The divider can be wire mesh or solid, depending on what you need for weather protection and which materials are cheaper vs. more expensive.

Here is a thread with one style of open-air coop that could easily be turned into a row of two or more pens:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-breeding-pen-attempt.670020/
I don't think you want to exactly copy it, but I like how it has the sheltered part at one end, with the rest more open and airy. I've seen photos of others that have a solid roof on the run as well. And it would be fairly easy to make that shape in a wider width, with a dividing wall, to have two or more separate pens.

I am also curious about coops themselves. Currently my three hens are with my parents flock and Ive noticed they rarely use their coop at all. Is an enclosed building truly necessary? Or would they be fine with a sheltered space? I live in Georgia so most of the year it is warm to hot.
Looking for suggestions.
There are a lot of versions of open and airy coops. Depending on how much time, money and room you have forsure. Can always Google warm weather coops to spy for ideas.

I too need open air or warm weather coops. Basically a frame, wire and spaced boards w/good overhang = a safe, secure feeling dry place for sleep and to lay eggs. A closed coop would be a death box and mosquito haven for my chickens. I do have large doors (frames with hinges, chicken wire & feed bags stapled over) that are open 95% unless we have a storm coming from a different direction about 5-10x per year. Good to have IMO.
20220213_161810.jpg
20220213_161650.jpg
back_garden_2022-07-15T06_15_56-1000_exported_11175.jpg
This is nice 👇 though I would button up a little more myself and add a door so I could leave it open lol.
62207.jpeg

Hot tip. Give your girls nest boxes breathing room too. Laying is stressful and a bad time to overheat.
20211115_125753.jpg

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
:frow from central North Carolina.

Is an enclosed building truly necessary? Or would they be fine with a sheltered space? I live in Georgia so most of the year it is warm to hot.

No, it's not necessary and in hot climates it not desirable. I have an Open Air coop, which is featured in my hot climate article: Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

An Open Air coops is, essentially, a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter at the windward end (some climates are so forgiving that only a single wall or even no wall at all is necessary, but most need some protection from wind and blowing rain from several directions).

Here are some links to help inspire you:

Open Air Coops

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-positive-local-action-coop.72804/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/california-living.68130/

As for breeding pens -- a sort of "motel" arrangement can be excellent. But you do have to be aware of the possible issue of roosters fighting through the fence -- which may necessitate putting up solid partitions so that they can't see each other.

Back
Top Bottom