DESPERATE for ANY help. Infection, pin feathers, vent, doing everything I can to keep her with us.

She's likely suffering from infection. She needs an oral antibiotic. What's your location? That will let us know how difficult it will be to find an antibiotic. Or you can use any people antibiotic you happen to have on hand. Let us know what it is and the strength so we can calculate dosage.

She needs to be revived. Add sugar in her water. It will elevate her glucose and give her strength to eat.

Is the honey you used Manuka honey? If not, save it for your biscuits.
It's local honey from my nextdoor neighbor, unrefined, literally pure comb and all. I didn't know i needed Manuka. So thank you for letting me know, I will definitely invest in some.

and never lifted it up again as I was constantly screaming at her stay with us, s
I wasn't screaming at her for Goodness sake! She was extremely far away and in a hole under my house directly under an air unit. When I said I was screaming It wasn't in a literal sense I wanted her to know she wasn't alone and she was under the air unit in the house so if I didn't yell or at least raise my voice she wouldn't have known I was there. We just found her like this today and wanted advice, I'm not about to prolong her suffering ... To insinuate that I would let her live in pain and die a slow death, blows my mind. I have never lost a chicken my husband and I have always raised strong healthy chickens. They are part of our family. The only thing they do for me is bring me joy and happiness and eggs. So I think I do pretty well. I didn't want to give up if there was a chance. I knew it was bad and I already knew I would have to put her down. So I'm sorry , but I have already beaten myself up for this, I don't need any help with that. I just wanted to know what I was up against.
I wasn't remotely insinuating that you weren't taking good care of your hen at all, I'm sorry. When someone says they did something, I take their word for it.

I wasn't screaming at her for Goodness sake! She was extremely far away and in a hole under my house directly under an air unit. When I said I was screaming It wasn't in a literal sense I wanted her to know she wasn't alone and she was under the air unit in the house so if I didn't yell or at least raise my voice she wouldn't have known I was there. We just found her like this today and wanted advice, I'm not about to prolong her suffering ... To insinuate that I would let her live in pain and die a slow death, blows my mind. I have never lost a chicken my husband and I have always raised strong healthy chickens. They are part of our family. The only thing they do for me is bring me joy and happiness and eggs. So I think I do pretty well. I didn't want to give up if there was a chance. I knew it was bad and I already knew I would have to put her down. So I'm sorry , but I have already beaten myself up for this, I don't need any help with that. I just wanted to know what I was up against.
well said.

So the infection on her rear by her top tail feathers isn't blue or green... The picture that shows the blue green is under her but there's no wound there. I wasn't sure if that was normal as I have never had Andalusians before and didn't know if it was relevant to her being sick. Does that mean the infection Is that spreading?
If its under could be infection or could be bruised if she jumped out and landed on her booty

Blue green is often the color of bruising.

I would focus on keeping her warmed, getting fluids into her, treating the wounds and get an antibiotic.
You don't mention where you are in the world, but you may be able to find Amoxicillin at your TSC.
If not and you can get meds quickly, I'd get them into her. Let us know how she's doing.

UPDATE.
I dispatched Frida this morning. She was showing improvement, but I knew she was suffering. I wish I would have done it sooner. Because I did a necropsy. I wanted to know for sure what happened. And was worried about my other flocks. And I had every right to be worried. It was not EYP, she wasn't egg bound, it wasn't vent. gleet.... She had internal bleeding, broken ribs, and several punctured organs the worst being the lung. This however was not a new wound. She was in advanced state of sepsis. And was full of green old blood. This is where I get so mad.... Because my neighbors have no sense of responsibility for their dogs. And yes I know it was a dog cz she was securely cooped at night safe from predators and my dogs are inside unless we are out with them. I'm glad I decided to do a necropsy, I know without a doubt that she wasn't contagious or infected with something that my other girls could get. But she died from something that is just as deadly to them. If anyone is interested, these are the photos. They are not pleasant but neither was doing it. And warning this is my first necropsy ever.
IMG_20220606_164521802.jpg
IMG_20220606_164539681.jpg
And if I'm being honest.... She was the first animal I have ever had to dispatch personally. It was hard on me emotionally to work up the courage to do it, but It wasn't about me... It was about her and ending her pain. I was nervous I would only hurt her worse and not succeed, but after many YouTube videos I did the broomstick method and it was fast and painless. For her anyways.Thank you all for the advice and the concerns. And I'm sorry if I was snappy the other day, I was just so upset and was taking everything personally.
IMG_20220606_163538286.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_164935295_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220606_164935295_HDR.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 3
I wasn't remotely insinuating that you weren't taking good care of your hen at all, I'm sorry. When someone says they did something, I take their word for it.
I'm sorry if I was a bit defensive. I just took it so personal. It's been emotional for me and it just struck me the wrong way. I would never own an animal if I was going to scream at it while knowing it was dying. I'd pray no one does. Lol

Back
Top Bottom