Desperate for urgent help with my Agnes.. egg bound

laurapeers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Please please help me.. my favourite silkiemail hen called Agnes aka Aggy needs urgent help.

I came home from work to find her in the corner of run quiet and drooped... she usually comes screaming up to me for treats.

I picked her up and discovered half a broken egg shell and gunk stuck next to her vent.

I've taken her inside, bathed her in warm water, then put rubber gloves on and olive oil and managed to pull out a load more soft shell and lots of gunk came out too. Not sure if I have accounted for all the egg....

I've saryniged olive oil up her vent and then again after half hour... she still seems in pain. She is just standing still and her vent is contracting like she needs to push.

I don't know what else to do???

I've put her to bed with loads of bedding... any more advice would be great, will she recover ?

My poor aggy! Xxx

Your biggest worry right now is her developing egg yolk peritonitis, egg bound is when an egg is stuck in there, shell and egg oozing out of her is a different story. Egg yolk is a perfect breeding host for many kinds of bacteria. You may need to get her started on some antibiotics.

Oh no... what kind of antibiotics... our vet is rubbish with chickens. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they will prescribe something... although they probably will want to see her!

I'm feeling rather panicked about this.

She in bed now... dreading what I'll find in the morning. I love my Agnes dearly!!!

Egg Perontinitis you could try an antibiotic like terromycin but alot of times perontinitis can cause the intestine to rupture and unless you have a good quality bird vet there is not many optionjs. The best option is just to make her comfortable. I know this is hard, but unfortunately one of the downsides of loving chickens. Hugs and wishing for a better outcome.

Melodie

hit.gif
Laura I know the feeling. So at this point just make her comfortable. See if you can get her to take some sugar water. This part truely sucks when you love an animal.

Just been to check on Aggy.. was terrified what I'd find... I opened the coop door and she came out!! She is eating and drinking, she wouldn't do either yesterday!!

This has to be a good sign ? Going to put lots of vitamin in the water today and prey she continues to do well

Thanks for your support son far....

She seems OK again tonight... she out in the garden digging.. eating and drinking no egg today. No swollen belly... what do you think???

Back
Top Bottom