Desperate for work, but need a duck-friendly career!

My grandson screams bloody murder every time I walk out the door (if the weather's nasty he stays indoors, otherwise always outside doing chores with Gma) I still do my chores and go to work, the screaming stops eventually even if it doesn't I'm not home to hear it. I don't want to be rude either but one must work so a little screaming may have to be tolerated, you can bond after work. Best of luck finding a job and a sitter for Wobbles.

A duck is not a human child. You can't reason with it. You can't tell her that you're coming back, as far as she knows, you're gone forever! She's all alone, so I'm the only "flock" she has. Leaving her alone to cry and cry and stress herself out is kinda cruel. She may even resort to feather pulling or other self-mutilation if I do just leave her behind for 8 hours a day. I do my chores with her by my side, I took her to the vet office when I did my internship, and I don't intend to stop until I know she can be left alone safely.

As I said we DO plan to get her a buddy, but since the breeding season is over we gotta wait to reserve a duckling or buy an egg. We need to get a call duck, and a baby one, to A) imprint, and B) ensure that it'll be okay being raised in a home environment. There are tons of adults for sale right now, but none are indoor ducks, and I can't in good faith force one to live inside, just as I'd never force a house duck to suddenly live outside.

There's always zoos as well. I used to be an Avian Keeper and I loved it! You probably wouldn't be able to take Wobbles with you there either though since there are protocols in place about bringing in outside animals. I really don't think you'll be able to find a job where you can take her with you, unfortunately. Even in the animal field. But the pet sitter idea sounds good!

I must say, "Wobbles" is one of the absolute BEST names for a duck I have ever heard!
On to business now. I have a personal opinion about a duck's separation anxiety, and it is just that--my opinion, tempered by my own limited experience. So Wobbles starts yelling if you leave the room? I say, let her scream her head off. Sorry, it might sound cruel to you, but I honestly believe it is not cruel. I feel that the screeching will stop when she is sick of doing it. If you are actually concerned with her safety (who knows, she might want to throw herself off a tall building), it might be possible to devise for yourself a viewing spot to spy on her while you are out of sight. I know, it could be painful for you to witness. But I feel strongly that your little friend will be better off after you help her cut the apron strings.
Good luck, and godspeed!

Gil
p.s. Quacky has built-in company; she just adores Wendell, and he tolerates her. Sometimes he chases her for fun, and she loves it.

Considering most vets have kennel runs and/or banks of recovery cages to put pets in, not sure if your duck would be happy spending the day in one of those while you are at work VS being at home alone. I also doubt anyone would want to have a screaming duck in their boarding/recovery while you are at work. If you need to move for your job, you will likely need to relocate hopefully to a home that allows indoor ducks for pets which may be impossible. Or simply consider working for a small / large animal vet despite your preference for exotics.
I was considering getting a fennec fox at one point. My local vet said no way to treating the animal. The closest exotic vet to where I live is about 45 minutes drive south..and would be worth the drive if I do purchase one of the cuties.. Duck hatching eggs are fairly easy to come by if you wanted to bator a buddy for your duck.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Beyond what the others have said, you might try your county and state agriculture departments and pet stores. The people at the pet stores around here bring pets to work with them. Granted, those are dogs, cats, and rats, not ducks, but the worst they can say is no.

Beyond what the others have said, you might try your county and state agriculture departments and pet stores. The people at the pet stores around here bring pets to work with them. Granted, those are dogs, cats, and rats, not ducks, but the worst they can say is no.

Hmm, no idea if we even have anything like that around here, but I'm totally gonna look into it! There's also a pet-friendly office in the next town over that runs our local therapy animal chapter, but they're not currently hiring for anything I'm qualified for. :/

Sometimes things outside your field allow pets... Privately owned bookstores and the like. Although small businesses like that are less likely to be hiring, it could be worth looking into. I know in the town I grew up in a lot of the stores on the main street had store cats. A store duck would be quite a thing.

I kind of shudder to say this, but a lot of women who don't want to or can't work outside the home take up babysitting (meaning human children, not animals). You might want to give some thought to that if you feel you have the temperment for it.

I kind of shudder to say this, but a lot of women who don't want to or can't work outside the home take up babysitting (meaning human children, not animals). You might want to give some thought to that if you feel you have the temperment for it.
Aw, HECK no! I'd sooner die than work with kids XD

Back
Top Bottom