Desperate Help Needed

Hello everyone,

Thank you so so much for responding and helping. With gave her a bit of olive oil last night, and for a little while, she sounded better! She wasn’t as rattly and didn’t sound as raspy.
However, we’ve gone to bed last night, and woken up early to check on her. Unfortunately she’s passed away over night.

Thank you all so much for your help anyway
Sorry, that sucks, :hugs

Hello everyone,

Thank you so so much for responding and helping. With gave her a bit of olive oil last night, and for a little while, she sounded better! She wasn’t as rattly and didn’t sound as raspy.
However, we’ve gone to bed last night, and woken up early to check on her. Unfortunately she’s passed away over night.

So sorry to hear your chicken passed. I only found this thread just now. For future reference, I have found it best to try to handle sick birds at night when they have gone to roost, rather than try to chase them down and capture them during the day. They can't see well at night and it makes it much easier to examine them. Use as little light as possible to catch them so they don't try to fly. Also, try to take action as soon as their behavior looks "off" or different. Birds hide their illness as long as possible to protect them from predators, so when one looks or acts sick, often it is already very sick indeed. Again, I am sorry for your loss. Keep an eye on the rest of your flock and let us know if any others show symptoms.

Oh, almost forgot. If you double-bag your dead bird in plastic and refrigerate it (do not freeze), you can send it in to your state lab for a necropsy (animal equivalent of an autopsy) to learn why it died. I think @casportpony has a list of labs by state.

So sorry to hear your chicken passed. I only found this thread just now. For future reference, I have found it best to try to handle sick birds at night when they have gone to roost, rather than try to chase them down and capture them during the day. They can't see well at night and it makes it much easier to examine them. Use as little light as possible to catch them so they don't try to fly. Also, try to take action as soon as their behavior looks "off" or different. Birds hide their illness as long as possible to protect them from predators, so when one looks or acts sick, often it is already very sick indeed. Again, I am sorry for your loss. Keep an eye on the rest of your flock and let us know if any others show symptoms.

Oh, almost forgot. If you double-bag your dead bird in plastic and refrigerate it (do not freeze), you can send it in to your state lab for a necropsy (animal equivalent of an autopsy) to learn why it died. I think @casportpony has a list of labs by state.
OP lives in Australia

Thank you all so much for all your help, you've all been amazing.

I dont think autopsies are something generally done on chickens here in Australia; Storm has been buried anyway now.

We check the chickens behaviour thoroughly every day, however this definitely just came on very suddenly. She was acting completely normal the day before.

The other three chickens will be watched extremely carefully over the next few weeks. If any of them show any sign of illness they will be taken straight to the vet.

Thank you all so much again

Hello everyone,

I’m glad u gave her some olive oil in her water,even though she may be gone,I’m certain she went away peacefully,which is better than anything,I’m terribly sorry for your loss,but u did ur best.

Back
Top Bottom