Details for the next SAN DIEGO MEET UP Sept. 30, 2012

I thought Baluts were supposed to be duck eggs. 

Typically  the age of the egg before it is cooked varies between cultures. In the Philippines, the perfect Balut egg is normally 17 days old, the point where the chick does not have beak, bones or feathers. In Vietnam however, they prefer their Balut eggs to be 19-21 days old, the point at which the bones of the chick will be firm, but they soften considerably when cooked.

At any rate you will have to incubate those eggs till they are about a week away from being hatched.

deb
You know more about balut than I do. :) . You are absolutely correct that baluts are typically made with duck eggs. But duck eggs are generally bigger than chicken eggs so it has to do with portion control. I didn't know about the different preferences between different cultures. I was thinking of incubating them for two weeks. Do you think the embryos would have feathers at 14 days? My mom doesn't want feathered baluts.

I thought the BCM eggs were desirable for restaurants due to the pretty color, and can't see how the marans eggs would taste different.

Also the protein content of an egg verses a developing chick should be the same, and certainly not more. A late stage chick will have more calcium (deposited in its bones) due to absorption of calcium from the shell just before hatch.

I thought the BCM eggs were desirable for restaurants due to the pretty color, and can't see how the marans eggs would taste different.

Also the protein content of an egg verses a developing chick should be the same, and certainly not more. A late stage chick will have more calcium (deposited in its bones) due to absorption of calcium from the shell just before hatch. 
The extra calcium in a late stage chick would be a plus as a diet supplement. But even though the older people in my family would eat baluts, they won't eat nearly formed chicks either.

I'll be there. I'll bring some sort of foody item, plus have something for the raffle. I'll do whatever grunt work needs doing!
smile.png

I have lots of Marans and Wellie eggs, but none are fertile at the moment. I have certainly learned a lot about balut today... I'm not sure how I feel about it; I think my gag reflex kicked in a bit.

I will have a few laying hens for sale, all under a year, and possibly some well-started pullets.

I plan to attend and I do have three Easter Eggers who have just started laying I'll bring for sale if anyone is interested. Their eggs are a pale shade of blue-green. Hatch date was early March. All three are very flighty and I prefer birds that are a bit tamer. They were hand raised them in a flock of 10, but they have never really mellowed out like the others. I also have two silkie roosters if anyone is interested. One is Black and about 2 years old, the other is white and a little over a year old. Both are well behaved and gorgeous boys. All are raised exclusively on organic feed. I can send pics if anyone is interested, please PM me.

I'll bring something to share for potluck and some cupcakes.

Looking forward to the meetup!

Back
Top Bottom