1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Detect preditors; pay attention to Blue Jays.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mikeksfarmer, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    Blue Jays have saved me at least three times now. Yesterday I heard Blue Jays going off big time. Went out and saw a hawk fly off from just above my pen. Two other times I heard the Blue Jays going off big time, and watched to see them harassing a Fox. Over the years I have watched them harass snakes, cats even people. This time of year they seem more obvious. I guess its bacause they have no young in the nest.
    Our chickens make the warning or stress call when they are being attacked. It seems Blue jays do it when ever they see a preditor.
    Heres an Idea; Use nature to help protect your flock!

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I don't have any Blue Jays here, but I've got a murder of crows who warn me about hawks.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I always pay attention to blue jays- they are great warning systems, and usually very accurate.

I was visiting Dipsy Doodle Doo earlier this summer, and noticed that she too pays attention to blue jays. I don't now where I learned it, somewhere when I lived in TX.

4. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    My chickens listen to the Blue Jays and head for cover when they go crazy.

meriruka... I think you just like to say Murder of Crows!! [​IMG]

5. kapy4

kapy4 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Healdsburg, California
    We have Scrub Jays in Northern California...and this summer
    they started eating my chicken eggs!! I thought it was one of my
    hens, and started isolating them...to find out WHO,with no success, but then
    I noticed Jays flying in the coop...sure enough it WAS JAYS! Here I was blaming my ladies!! I have a covered coop, but they managed to wiggle through the wire, so I put bird netting across it and let it hang down the sides...they soon found out they could fly up under the bird netting.....THEN I put curtains on my nestboxes...that did it!!! No more problem with Jays stealing eggs....but I have to say I admired the Jays...they found a way!! I am kind of in awe!! Pretty intelligent !!

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have crows and blue jays that I listen to. They have warned me several times.

7. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Magpies are also great early warning systems.

I won't feed them in the spring and summer because of all the song birds that nest in my yard but as soon as fall comes around I am alllll about the peanuts for the scrub jays and magpies.

8. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    OH, y-e-a-h! Having Blue Jays around is great. I put out raw peanuts in the shell for them. And they love the stiped sun flower seeds I put out for the Cardinals.

They have saved my chickens countless times from hawks, the Cooper's Hawk specifically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by