Determining gender of True Blue Whitings?

Glenna Fay

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
I have two (2) True Blue Whitings that are 8 weeks old. I am beginning to think one is a rooster, because its tail is raised (in comparison to the other, whose tail protrudes outward to the back). Also, there are more neck feathers on the suspected male. Are these official gender “markers”? And/or are there other signs I can look for? And, if I DO have a male, what is the general temperament of True Blue Whitings roosters?... I would appreciate any-all feedback. Thank you.

Look at the combs and wattles: are they much more red on one bird than the other? If so, the bird where they are redder is a male. If they both match, then your two are probably the same gender as each other.

If they match: red comb = male at that age, not-red is probably female, or post photos and one of us "experts" will give an opinion.

Sorry I don't have an personal experience with the temperament of the breed.

I have two (2) True Blue Whitings that are 8 weeks old. I am beginning to think one is a rooster, because its tail is raised (in comparison to the other, whose tail protrudes outward to the back). Also, there are more neck feathers on the suspected male. Are these official gender “markers”? And/or are there other signs I can look for? And, if I DO have a male, what is the general temperament of True Blue Whitings roosters?... I would appreciate any-all feedback. Thank you.
Whiting true blues naturally look very different from each other, almost like different breeds, though they all have a pea comb. As they grow watch for the typical rooster signs: pointed hackle and saddle feathers, larger comb.

Back
Top Bottom