Deterring Feral Cats

I would say i'm 99% sure its a cat. None of my neighbors have seen any coons, skunks, rats etc. I stayed at the window most of the night and counted 4 different cats prowling my yard. But nothing else. More than I've seen around during the day... Let my dogs out and they cornered one and scared the life out of it if not worse... My boxer despises any cat. I've not found and signs of other predators. Not to say they are not there. I've been a hunter all my life, and see no sign of other creatures in or around my yard. I figure my ladies are only 2 months old. Still relatively small. I felt they were big enough. But I've decided to only let them out for a few hours at a time while my boxer is outside to guard them . Shes such a priss, she wants to hang out inside lol. SO they stay in the pen most of the day. Its a decent sized area to be in, I just wanted free ranged chickens. I also keep my yard very poop free. I don't know if that matters. I've read that cats dislike dog and chicken feces, but i'm to clean to let it lay around for more than a day or two.

I'm seriously considering an Airsoft pellet gun. As soon as I open the door they bolt. Sooo, I could just hang out with an open window and pop the sneaky little shyts. I figure once or twice should get the point across. Do you think they communicate to the other cats that the yard is no longer "cat friendly", so to speak?

I had a *&#&$ feral cat kill my 2 bantam hens *just to eat their breast meat, nothing else*, so don't let anyone tell you a cat can't take a small chicken or even a mid-size one. There're toms prowling around here that may outsize a bobcat. Shoot them, trap them...whatever!!

Dogs are only really a deterrent when they outside, awake and on the look out for intruders. Any of the opportunistic critters hanging around will be watching for times when they're either in the house, sleeping or otherwise occupied. The magpies use to steal the dogs food right out from under his nose while he slept. When he came in at night feral cats and wild critters would gobble up any left overs.

We quit leaving food out after a coyote pooped on the deck...

my suggestion is a live trap, then dispose of the cats as you see fit. if you have a local humane society, you might be able to take them by there. if you are worried about nosy neighbors hearing gun shots, get a 50gal drum or large trash can and fill it with water, then slip the entire live trap in there. that is the method i use for skunks, with the addition of a tarp over the top, to avoid being sprayed.

I'd like to thank all of you for taking the time to read and respond to my thread.
I have added a 3 ft wire fence to the top of my existing fence. I also now have a BB rifle. I haven't had to use it yet. But I wanted to be prepared. I have not seen a single cat in the yard since I added the castle walls. SO hopefully I won't have to use it on them. For thier sakes...

Happy Backyard Farming Ya'll!!
cool.png

If they end up coming back despite your fence reinforcement, try (and this sounds bizarre, but it's worked for me for fox and deer) human urine. Put it across what seems to be their point of entry to your yard. If they're truly feral cats (no human socialization), they'll be more hesitant about visiting your yard, for fear that you're out there with them. If they're just strays, I don't think it would work as well, since they knew humans at one time.
If worse comes to worse, you can always make a recording of your door opening, and have it set to play when a motion device activates the play button. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom