Deterring Feral Cats

Use a roll of deer netting from Lowes or HD to make a top for the pen. You can cover 700 sq ft of pen for $15.
It keeps your birds safer and you also avoid the moral and ethical dilemma of killing Fluffy.

Surprised your dog doesn't deter the cats. Something doesn't compute here. Cats will never come around when they smell a dog. Also, I've never known a cat to kill a chicken. Especially a feral cat that isn't well fed and strong.

Are you SURE is was a feral cat? Most go after small prey like rates, etc.

My suggestion is to find a local feral cat organization. They will set up a "feeding station" and then trap them where they have found food. Once the cats get used to a feeding station, they have no need for you. Organizations will help relocate them. They normally will trap the entire family and they will be gone forever. Certainly more humane than a foot trap.

You can't blame an animal for being homeless and hungry.

TNR people are very against relocating ferals. Once they start putting food on your property they won't stop. Neither they nor the cats will ever leave while the food attracts more cats. If you pressure them to stop feeding they'll slash your car tires.

Use a roll of deer netting from Lowes or HD to make a top for the pen. You can cover 700 sq ft of pen for $15.
It keeps your birds safer and you also avoid the moral and ethical dilemma of killing Fluffy.

Society has decided that it is legally justifiable to shoot animals attacking livestock, so there is no ethical dilemma.

Each person has their own morals, so I suppose some may see it as wrong to shoot a cat that is attacking his or her chickens. But I think there are few people who would stand by and allow a cat to kill off their chickens.

TNR people are very against relocating ferals. Once they start putting food on your property they won't stop. Neither they nor the cats will ever leave while the food attracts more cats. If you pressure them to stop feeding they'll slash your car tires.

You may have had this happen, or heard about it happening, but I think it is wrong to say a whole group of people will resort to slashing your tires.

I think we agree that it is best to handle predators on our own, though.

TNR folks will relocate a colony when necessary. Check nonprofit groups for that.

I wouldn't want anything after my chickens either but it isn't the cats faults that people have become so irresponsible. (Guilty of this in my past too, so I am not on a soapbox here).

I have one adult cat who is allowed outside. My roosters keep him in check very well tho. So far, he's kept the wandering cats in check. I'm fortunate.

I'd look for a local nonprofit tho, if it were me. Then you know the animals will be spayed and neutered before relocation and there's less chance this would happen to someone else.

Good luck and I'm so sorry for the loss of your hen.

I would say i'm 99% sure its a cat. None of my neighbors have seen any coons, skunks, rats etc. I stayed at the window most of the night and counted 4 different cats prowling my yard. But nothing else. More than I've seen around during the day... Let my dogs out and they cornered one and scared the life out of it if not worse... My boxer despises any cat. I've not found and signs of other predators. Not to say they are not there. I've been a hunter all my life, and see no sign of other creatures in or around my yard. I figure my ladies are only 2 months old. Still relatively small. I felt they were big enough. But I've decided to only let them out for a few hours at a time while my boxer is outside to guard them . Shes such a priss, she wants to hang out inside lol. SO they stay in the pen most of the day. Its a decent sized area to be in, I just wanted free ranged chickens. I also keep my yard very poop free. I don't know if that matters. I've read that cats dislike dog and chicken feces, but i'm to clean to let it lay around for more than a day or two.

I'm seriously considering an Airsoft pellet gun. As soon as I open the door they bolt. Sooo, I could just hang out with an open window and pop the sneaky little shyts. I figure once or twice should get the point across. Do you think they communicate to the other cats that the yard is no longer "cat friendly", so to speak?

Back
Top Bottom