Devastated and need advice

Rfoser

Hatching
Dec 12, 2016
I have had my hens for two years. I raised them from chicks and I live in the city so I only have four. I woke up yesterday morning to find one chicken dead and two missing. The dead one had obviously been killed by a predator. This morning I awoke to hear my remaining hen screaming. When I ran outside there was a huge raccoon attacking her. I tried to beat it off with a broom, but it came at me and I had to retreat.

I really want to get new chicks this spring, but now I am worried. I have a small coop with a chicken wire enclosed run. It is covered on top. No obvious holes, but there are a few small gaps I guess. Any ideas on what yo do to keep any new chickens safe? Do I need a gum to keep critters away? I am so upset that I couldn't even protect my last bird :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't encourage any raccoons or varmits to arrive by feeding! Rabies is a real issue with raccoons, and their poo is bad to have around, and don't invite them over unless to meet up with your 22 g. Mary

I have had my hens for two years. I raised them from chicks and I live in the city so I only have four. I woke up yesterday morning to find one chicken dead and two missing. The dead one had obviously been killed by a predator. This morning I awoke to hear my remaining hen screaming. When I ran outside there was a huge raccoon attacking her. I tried to beat it off with a broom, but it came at me and I had to retreat.

I really want to get new chicks this spring, but now I am worried. I have a small coop with a chicken wire enclosed run. It is covered on top. No obvious holes, but there are a few small gaps I guess. Any ideas on what yo do to keep any new chickens safe? Do I need a gum to keep critters away? I am so upset that I couldn't even protect my last bird
sad.png
First off,
welcome-byc.gif
, and I am so sorry for your loss. No, you don't need a gun to get rid of predators, especially if you live in the city, but it would be good to have a BB gun for future offense in a matter such as you had. Try purchasing a trap, because raccoons are relentless once they have a bead on your birds; Once you have captured the thing, relocate it outside a 10 mile radius of your house, raccoons can sniff their way back at a certain distance. For protection, it would help to see some pics of your coop to determine what is needed.

Sorry for your loss.

Show us pictures of that coop. I bet it can be hardened easily.

Additinally, look as using a small fencer, to charge hotwire directly attached to coop or in immediate vicinity. You might even be able to power a length of electrified poultry netting.

I really want to get new chicks this spring, but now I am worried. I have a small coop with a chicken wire enclosed run. It is covered on top. No obvious holes, but there are a few small gaps I guess. Any ideas on what yo do to keep any new chickens safe? Do I need a gum to keep critters away? I am so upset that I couldn't even protect my last bird
sad.png
Did you make your profile pic an angry raccoon for this reason?

Back
Top Bottom