Devastated and need advice

So sorry for your loss! Only 1/2" hardware cloth and 2"x4" woven wire will keep predators at bay! Rebuild/ reinforce the coop and run before bringing in birds again. Live trapping and KILLING raccoons and opossums as they arrive at your coop helps, as necessary. It's illegal to relocate these critters almost everywhere in the USA; check with your DNR and animal control about your options. Don't trap if you can't kill the critter, because releasing a trap-wise predator only hurts others. A rebuilt safe coop and run, and feeding only inside, helps to keep out predators, and protects your birds at night when they are most at risk. Electrified poultry netting is wonderful, but it's likely that any electric fencing options are not going to be allowed where you live. Check first! Mary

Depending on setup, you can go as low as $100. If poultry netting pursued you are talking about $250. In most instances, simply hardening the coop is less costly, but I would do that in addition to hotwire.

So sorry for your loss!  Only 1/2" hardware cloth and 2"x4" woven wire will keep predators at bay!  Rebuild/ reinforce the coop and run before bringing in birds again.  Live trapping and KILLING raccoons and opossums  as they arrive at your coop helps, as necessary.  It's illegal to relocate these critters almost everywhere in the USA;  check with your DNR and animal control about your options.  Don't trap if you can't kill the critter, because releasing a trap-wise predator only hurts others.  A rebuilt  safe coop and run, and feeding only inside, helps to keep out predators, and protects your birds at night when they are most at risk.  Electrified poultry netting is wonderful, but it's likely that any electric fencing options are not going to be allowed where you live.  Check first!  Mary

Several types of predators will defeat hardware cloth when motivated to do so. Better to reduce motivation for trying to defeat it by getting birds and feed away from sides and bottom at night.

Several types of predators will defeat hardware cloth when motivated to do so. Better to reduce motivation for trying to defeat it by getting birds and feed away from sides and bottom at night.
chicken wire is the worst, always use the smaller squared stuff, raccoons can't reach their paws right through it. chicken wire is easier to tear as well. I have used the smaller stuff for years, and have only lost one chicken to a snake that crept through a hole, I've even seen possums and raccoons climb on my coop with no way in.

I actually got a good look after sun up. The hole was patched. He tore the lid off the nesting boxes and got in that way this time. They were small brass hinges. I will be replacing all hardware with heavy stainless steel before getting new birds. I may also look into a BB gun and call animal control. At least that might scare him away.

I actually got a good look after sun up. The hole was patched. He tore the lid off the nesting boxes and got in that way this time. They were small brass hinges. I will be replacing all hardware with heavy stainless steel before getting new birds. I may also look into a BB gun and call animal control. At least that might scare him away.

If it had small brass hinges, I'm guessing you bought it prebuilt. Pebuild's stink, I highly recommend getting BB gun, they aren't strong enough to kill, but hurt enough to scare off. Also, I forgot to ask, did he attack in broad day light?.

chicken wire is the worst, always use the smaller squared stuff, raccoons can't reach their paws right through it. chicken wire is easier to tear as well. I have used the smaller stuff for years, and have only lost one chicken to a snake that crept through a hole, I've even seen possums and raccoons climb on my coop with no way in.

I have had both raccoons and opossums chew through hardware cloth to get as a chicken they can almost touch before starting effort. Chicken wire can have some benefits if chickens roost free and clear of it. I would go hardware cloth and get birds to roost free and clear of it.

Upgrading lock and hinge hardware also needed. I have fairly extensive experience with pet free-range raccoons and confined chickens. Raccoons are smart and strong but can be beat.

I have had both raccoons and opossums chew through hardware cloth to get as a chicken they can almost touch before starting effort. Chicken wire can have some benefits if chickens roost free and clear of it. I would go hardware cloth and get birds to roost free and clear of it.

Upgrading lock and hinge hardware also needed. I have fairly extensive experience with pet free-range raccoons and confined chickens. Raccoons are smart and strong but can be beat.

All true, and hardware cloth does have its uses, just protection isn't one of them.s

Back
Top Bottom