Devastated! Please help

LG, I don’t know what your incubator looks like or how many eggs you have in there but one problem the big boys have, the ones that incubate tens of thousands of eggs at a time, is getting rid of excess heat. The huge volumes of eggs that have put off so much heat they can cook the eggs if they don’t cool them off. But that’s normally later in the incubation, not as early as you describe. Just throwing out a thought.
But if the bator is regulated by a thermostat, wouldn't the thermostat adjust for that change?

Quote: One would "think" so...lol! Mine always has me scratching my head because sometimes it isn't at the end when it changes things up.
barnie.gif

I had 6/12. Survive 113F. So there is hope!

That's awesome!! I agree...there is always hope. I would try the 24 hours and check. You have nothing to lose by giving the eggs that chance.
fl.gif

Last edited:
LG, I don’t know what your incubator looks like or how many eggs you have in there but one problem the big boys have, the ones that incubate tens of thousands of eggs at a time, is getting rid of excess heat. The huge volumes of eggs that have put off so much heat they can cook the eggs if they don’t cool them off. But that’s normally later in the incubation, not as early as you describe. Just throwing out a thought.
Yep, the big guys have cooling systems built into those monster bators. Mine is just a little styrofoam box. And I wrap it in blankets and pillows at night when the temp goes down (it's in the kitchen, tucked into a corner on the counter, cabinet over it, with 1" foam cushion under it, and pillows between it and the wall. I snug towels up around the 2 front sides and top at night. With the thermostat, one would think that the bulbs would just kick on more often and it would hold a static temp at night. Granted, it's pretty open celled foam, and only 1" thick, but even so... Looking forward to seeing how this new bator with STC 1000 performs.

Glad to see it's not just my incubator. I'm on my second test hatch, figuring things out with backyard eggs, and the same thing happens. I struggle to maintain a constant temp the first week, then start nudging the temp down. I have the Genesis, I start with setting it at 99.9. I'm at 10 days now and 99.7. At hatch last time, I had it down to 99.1 to keep the actual temp down to about 100.

But if the bator is regulated by a thermostat, wouldn't the thermostat adjust for that change?

The thermostat in our Styrofoam incubators turns the heater off when it gets warm enough. It does not turn any cooling system on. To keep them from overheating just by the heat they produce later in incubation we have to rely on the heat dissipating naturally. That’s not a problem with my Styrofoam Genesis 1588. I keep it in a room that’s constantly in the 70’s.

I haven’t had that problem with mine but someone that has might want to call the manufacturer and chat with them about it. It seems to be a common enough problem that they should have heard about it.

Mine is very sensitive to the temperature of the room it's in. So much so that I just keep the door to the room shut all the time and a dedicated heater with a thermostat in there. That way the room temp stays more stable (the rest of the house is heated with wood and is all over the place temperature-wise).

Just an update but I have had 3 eggs hatch out of the 30, which is better than none. I see 2 other eggs that appear to be pipping! I was really hoping to have good numbers but after thinking all were lost I am grateful for these 3.

Just an update but I have had 3 eggs hatch out of the 30, which is better than none. I see 2 other eggs that appear to be pipping! I was really hoping to have good numbers but after thinking all were lost I am grateful for these 3.

Thanks so much for updating! I'm really glad that you had three that made it. It's not what you were probably hoping for...but still fantastic!
thumbsup.gif

Did the other two eggs pip?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom