Devastated

Pics
I just didn’t think predators were an issue where I live. I’m looking for different solutions now that this happened.
From everything I've read, predators are always an issue. It just depends on where you live as to what predators they face. Chickens are an easy meal.
Good luck and I hope you get it all worked out.

So sorry for you and your kids, and the frizzle who lost her buddy.
Hawks are so bad here and it's against the law to kill them.
When my flocks were young (I have 3) I would have to physically put them into the coop after dark. All 3 sets did the same thing, roosting right in front of the run door. Now they all go inside like clockwork.
Introducing newbies is hard, and who knows if they'll ever co-mingle. If you do decide to try and coop them, maybe just make a separate area for the silkie. Just a poultry wire divider, so she can see the others but they can't pick at her. (?)
Allowing my chickens to free-range is important to me, and I can't be home everyday, although mostly I am. I'm outside alot, lol. I let each group out at different times and it's working so far. I have a mobile pet kennel that I put a hound in and keep in their pasture, he quickly alerts to any danger. I also have 4 guineas that will let you know when a leaf falls. I do think guineas would be very difficult to incorporate into an existing flock. They probably need to be raised together to graze together.
I hope you get everything worked out, and feel better. Life happens, we adjust and keep going.
I'm by no means an expert, this is just how I try to keep my ladies safe.
Take care - Jess

So sorry for you and your kids, and the frizzle who lost her buddy.
Hawks are so bad here and it's against the law to kill them.
When my flocks were young (I have 3) I would have to physically put them into the coop after dark. All 3 sets did the same thing, roosting right in front of the run door. Now they all go inside like clockwork.
Introducing newbies is hard, and who knows if they'll ever co-mingle. If you do decide to try and coop them, maybe just make a separate area for the silkie. Just a poultry wire divider, so she can see the others but they can't pick at her. (?)
Allowing my chickens to free-range is important to me, and I can't be home everyday, although mostly I am. I'm outside alot, lol. I let each group out at different times and it's working so far. I have a mobile pet kennel that I put a hound in and keep in their pasture, he quickly alerts to any danger. I also have 4 guineas that will let you know when a leaf falls. I do think guineas would be very difficult to incorporate into an existing flock. They probably need to be raised together to graze together.
I hope you get everything worked out, and feel better. Life happens, we adjust and keep going.
I'm by no means an expert, this is just how I try to keep my ladies safe.
Take care - Jess

Thanks so much for your advise. My kids are doing much better but I’m still pretty traumatized. We’re thinking of clearing out some woods and making a huge run on our property. It won’t be able to happen until the spring, so I’m not sure what to do until then.

Build a small run now, and deal with bigger in spring. Your birds need a safe coop, large as possible, so when things happen, they can be locked in without being overcrowded.
I like having roosters, and MAYBE getting your friend's cockerel would work out well for you. BUT, he can't fix your predator issues, and he needs to be polite to humans, including your children! Any signs of human aggression makes him impossible to have!!!
If you have a store bought coop, odds are it's too small, so do post those pictures and dimensions.
We all have predators!!! Not ever seeing a fox, or whatever, is no guarantee; they will find you! Be glad if you don't have bears.
Mary

Build a small run now, and deal with bigger in spring. Your birds need a safe coop, large as possible, so when things happen, they can be locked in without being overcrowded.
I like having roosters, and MAYBE getting your friend's cockerel would work out well for you. BUT, he can't fix your predator issues, and he needs to be polite to humans, including your children! Any signs of human aggression makes him impossible to have!!!
If you have a store bought coop, odds are it's too small, so do post those pictures and dimensions.
We all have predators!!! Not ever seeing a fox, or whatever, is no guarantee; they will find you! Be glad if you don't have bears.
Mary
No no bears luckily, or poisonous snakes! Okay it poured all day today, let me go through old pics and see if I have a picture of the coop. I def think it might be too small. How can I build a small, safe, inexpensive run?

Back
Top Bottom