Devastating Raccoon attack

PolishAllTheWay

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
Last june a raccoon got into my coop and killed all of my best breeder hens, along with all my favorites. it was one of the worst days in my life. for about a week i went out and checked around the yard and finally I heard something fighting ina tree I quickly ran outside with my family and took a few shots at some raccoons fighting in our tree, I shot one to the ground and got the other one later. I never felt anything better in my life then to see my babies being avenged:yesss:

I totally understand how you feel. When a mink took out three of my four original hens, there was nothing in the world I wanted more than to kill it, especially when it had the nerve to return the same night AND take one of my runner duck drakes the next day. I was only armed with a three-tined cultivator, and it there hadn't been a hole in the back hay shed wall, I would have stabbed it to death. It's the only time in my life I've ever wanted to kill a wild thing.

Subsequent attempts to trap it ended up with a smiling -- but clearly unhappy -- possum staring at me from a Hav-A-Hart trap. I made some serious investment in hardware cloth, made it a point to ALWAYS remember to close the chicken coop door and fenced off the back pasture gateway so ducks didn't wander off there. (Good news: runner ducks are baffled by a 2-foot "fence," that I can step over).

I am sorry for the loss of your hens last June. It's devastating to lose them to a predator.

But, I am happy to welcome you to BYC. You're in good company here.

:welcome :frow So sorry for the loss of your birds. I had a couple of fox kill some birds. I did eliminate them. One was especially gratifying. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom