Devastating Raccoon Attack

What kind of wiring system are you using? Do you have three or four wires, one two inches off the ground, one 5 inches, one 10, etc. Do you put them just around the pens, or around the entire compound? I'm seriously considering electric fencing but I don't know even where to start. I have power to the coop and maybe just need wiring around the birds' enclosure?
I have 3 wires around my coops and pens. A good fence charger is a must because you want the predator to hurt if it touches the hot wires. My fence charger puts out 10,000+ volts but 7,000 is adequate and will deter most predators. A good ground is another must. Placing the ground rod in a drip line works great. It may not be pretty but works. Good luck...
20210115_095349.jpg

A coon walking by the coops.
DSCF0002317T 03.jpg

Don’t tell me that! We got one overnight. Hoping for more success tonight (assuming there’s are more)
We set up a very elaborate box/haveaheart trap system last night. Put the traps inside a box and covered in a hay mound. Baited with chocolate and marshmallows. They didn't even go inside for the bait, much less trip them. Bait was still there this morning.

Have you had more success?

We set up a very elaborate box/haveaheart trap system last night. Put the traps inside a box and covered in a hay mound. Baited with chocolate and marshmallows. They didn't even go inside for the bait, much less trip them. Bait was still there this morning.

I decided to wait on putting another trap out until my husband is available in the morning to deal with it. So we’ll see Saturday morning.
I used some wet cat food the 1st night and had it just outside the duck run not covered or anything.

I have trouble with the coons trying to get into my feed bins, as they can't get into the coop, so I set my dog proofs around the back of the coop, baited with corn.

They LOVE corn. I sprinkle a bit around the traps, and put 5 or 10 kernels in the dukes, and am never "skunked" ! Cracked corn, and chicken feed works almost as well.

If you are trying to bring them in, then fish and sweets work wonders, but if they are already visiting, just plain old corn works great, without the mess.

My brother had some coons picking off his birds. He used ex.lax. The coons loved it and they didn't come back.

Once you install electric fence (cheap and easy) then you can sleep at night.
Yes I told my husband we should look into that. It’s obvious whomever lived in this house previously had some because there’s yellow connector pieces throughout the fencing. I need an “electric fence for dummies” course (including how to keep humans and kids safe and diligent around it 🤣)

Back
Top Bottom