Devastation and loneliness

HarmonyAcre

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2020
Tucson, az
Ethel my hen of at least 5 years was killed today by a coyote. I knew it could happen, but Ilet my girls free range. They had lots of cover and I tried to keep watch but its a bad time of year. I had them in a temporary coop and they weren’t getting any sunshine. I‘m in the process of building a new coop and run, but not soon enough. This coyote killed two of my birds and the third got away. It looks like Ethel gave him hell, tryin to protect the other two. I’m hearing impaired and just didn’t hear things quick enough. Whats worse, is that I found Ethel intact on the side of the embankment In one piece, but dead. Its like that coyote, left her there for me. I’m not sure what to make of that. I couldn’t find the other chicken, but later I saw that coyote with it in its mouth. I’m on 31/2 acres and a wash runs through my property, which is well traveled by lots of critters.
Now, I have one hen and I’m not sure what I should do with her. I’m going to finish the new coop and run and eventually get chicks. Even if I get chicks soon, it will be awhile before my hen will have any companions. My question is will she do okay my herself? Below is my beautiful and tough Ethel. I buried her under a new tree I planted.
C24FFAA0-E597-427F-9EED-B5ECF0087EB6.jpeg

I'm very sorry you lost two of your girls! Can you look on Craigslist or somewhere to see if anyone has any chickens they are looking to rehome? I agree that your third girl needs friends well before any new chicks come. Fortify your coop and run and maybe keep the lone chicken locked up for awhile, the coyote will be back

I'm so sorry for your loss!! If it were me, I'd bring her inside for company. We had a sour crop chicken who needed separated so she hung out with me in my office (I wfh) and we would talk back and forth during the day. Took her out to the front a few times a day to scratch in the dirt and walk around. She just didn't handle being alone in the garage well as a social animal. If you can't do that, maybe just making sure your spend some extra time with her every day?

I've also heard of people using mirrors to help with loneliness is a single chicken.

I'm so sorry for your loss!! If it were me, I'd bring her inside for company. We had a sour crop chicken who needed separated so she hung out with me in my office (I wfh) and we would talk back and forth during the day. Took her out to the front a few times a day to scratch in the dirt and walk around. She just didn't handle being alone in the garage well as a social animal. If you can't do that, maybe just making sure your spend some extra time with her every day?

I've also heard of people using mirrors to help with loneliness is a single chicken.
This is so sweet (my quail are constantly by my side in my bedroom) but be aware that mirrors are often discouraged for birds because it can be confusing and maddening to them. It’s weird to see what looks like another bird but is copying you and acting ‘off’.

Ethel my hen of at least 5 years was killed today by a coyote. I knew it could happen, but Ilet my girls free range. They had lots of cover and I tried to keep watch but its a bad time of year. I had them in a temporary coop and they weren’t getting any sunshine. I‘m in the process of building a new coop and run, but not soon enough. This coyote killed two of my birds and the third got away. It looks like Ethel gave him hell, tryin to protect the other two. I’m hearing impaired and just didn’t hear things quick enough. Whats worse, is that I found Ethel intact on the side of the embankment In one piece, but dead. Its like that coyote, left her there for me. I’m not sure what to make of that. I couldn’t find the other chicken, but later I saw that coyote with it in its mouth. I’m on 31/2 acres and a wash runs through my property, which is well traveled by lots of critters.
Now, I have one hen and I’m not sure what I should do with her. I’m going to finish the new coop and run and eventually get chicks. Even if I get chicks soon, it will be awhile before my hen will have any companions. My question is will she do okay my herself? Below is my beautiful and tough Ethel. I buried her under a new tree I planted. View attachment 2992281
She is/was a stunner.

I’m so sorry for your loss but you know what happened, why it happened and what you now need to do; best of luck in the future and I know nothing is ever going to replace her, but I hope you and the remainder will find happiness with a new hen.

This is so sweet (my quail are constantly by my side in my bedroom) but be aware that mirrors are often discouraged for birds because it can be confusing and maddening to them. It’s weird to see what looks like another bird but is copying you and acting ‘off’.
That is good to know, thank you! I've never used mirrors before and had just seen it used for a chick who was the only survivor. It makes sense though.

Now, I have one hen and I’m not sure what I should do with her. I’m going to finish the new coop and run and eventually get chicks. Even if I get chicks soon, it will be awhile before my hen will have any companions. My question is will she do okay my herself? Below is my beautiful and tough Ethel. I buried her under a new tree I planted. View attachment 2992281
I know this is late but I'm so sorry for your loss, she looks like a beautiful girl. I had a chicken alone for about 6 weeks and I kept her inside with me until it was bedtime and then I put her in her hut and chatted to her until she went to sleep. (That's probably gonna be useless info now and it was during the first lockdown ha) but anyway that seemed to help her. It's awful when you lose chickens to predators. Hope you're doing ok <3

Back
Top Bottom