Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
Lanky doesn't want to loose his hens.
That seems to be it. He specifically wants to be with that half aseel hen. At one point I ran him 75 yards away to the free range flock of hens and he charged right back to his coop.

Hours! Very bad to let them go between wire for obvious reasons. Let em go without anything between them.
It was about 2-3 hours this morning before I interceded and put Lanky back in and Indo back out. I thought they’d get tired of not really being able to access each other but they never did. Lanky would hit the cage so hard he’d shake the entire side. Had his spurs been longer I’m sure he would have damaged them. They both have bloody combs but otherwise seem ok. I only handled Indo and he’s fine except for his comb. I’ll inspect Lanky’s feet tonight.

If I let them go at it with nothing in between I believe Indo would kill Lanky. Indo is more than twice as heavy in spite of the two having similarly sized frames and I have the impression Lanky won’t run. He’s got more in him than just my junglefowl hybrids. Indo trashed Hei Hei and Hei Hei was much more mature with longer spurs, and I think Lanky having the “Blueface” in him has more grit than Hei Hei did.

6DCF9A0B-9352-427A-8F5E-DD6AD6DEFFE1.jpeg

Unrelated to the minor drama with Lanky and Indo, I am concerned I may be about to experience a major setback. Yesterday evening I noticed Azog had a bad limp on his left leg. Overnight I considered various possibilities, such as a snake getting in the coop, early onset of bumblefoot, him growing too fast, ect. I examined him both before dark and after dark and I saw no injuries and no sign of bumblefoot so I considered that least likely. I finally settled on the likelihood he simply scuffled with a dominant layer hen and pulled something out of wack.

Its no better today, possibly worse, and I now see a small fayoumi pullet also has a limp, except hers in on her right leg. You can see her holding the foot off the ground in the pic immediately behind and to the left of Azog.

Both her and Azog are preferring to stay low on the ground and not putting much weight on their respective lame legs. It seems more like an injury, but I have a gnawing concern about it being the onset of Marek’s. You can see them both laying down in this pic
08AB6618-83BC-4FF0-B28F-E3E28FE11700.jpeg

I will examine the fayoumi tonight to see if she has more of an obvious injury than Azog. I have to be careful handing Azog anyhow because he has a lot of blood quills. He was clearly in pain when I handled him last night by me touching his quills.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised you haven't had this problem sooner
I’ve not had this coop except since late summer and Lanky has been in it since he was a cockerel. My largest coop is double wired, which I did to stop Number 1 and the aseel from fighting though the wire.

Now that Indo and Lanky are back in their respective worlds, they couldn’t care less about one another.

View attachment 3352056

Unrelated to the minor drama with Lanky and Indo, I am concerned I may be about to experience a major setback. Yesterday evening I noticed Azog had a bad limp on his left leg. Overnight I considered various possibilities, such as a snake getting in the coop, early onset of bumblefoot, him growing too fast, ect. I examined him both before dark and after dark and I saw no injuries and no sign of bumblefoot so I considered that least likely. I finally settled on the likelihood he simply scuffled with a dominant layer hen and pulled something out of wack.

Its no better today, possibly worse, and I now see a small fayoumi pullet also has a limp, except hers in on her right leg. You can see her holding the foot off the ground in the pic immediately behind and to the left of Azog.

Both her and Azog are preferring to stay low on the ground and not putting much weight on their respective lame legs. It seems more like an injury, but I have a gnawing concern about it being the onset of Marek’s. You can see them both laying down in this pic View attachment 3352063

I will examine the fayoumi tonight to see if she has more of an obvious injury than Azog. I have to be careful handing Azog anyhow because he has a lot of blood quills. He was clearly in pain when I handled him last night by me touching his quills

View attachment 3352056

Both her and Azog are preferring to stay low on the ground and not putting much weight on their respective lame legs. It seems more like an injury, but I have a gnawing concern about it being the onset of Marek’s. You can see them both laying down in this pic View attachment 3352063

I will examine the fayoumi tonight to see if she has more of an obvious injury than Azog. I have to be careful handing Azog anyhow because he has a lot of blood quills. He was clearly in pain when I handled him last night by me touching his quills.

View attachment 3352056

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully it's just something minor. If it is Marek's, it's ironic that it started in the fayoumis coup.

I consider it unlikely to be Marek’s. There doesn’t seem to be a loss of motor skills. It just seems like both birds don’t want to put much weight on their foots as if it hurts to do so. I don’t know though what sort of injury would have happened to both of them. Unless perhaps a nail or screw somewhere they both stepped on. But seems like I should be able to see the injury then.

I’m currently feeding a 50/50 mix of 16% laying crumbles and 20% gamebird grower, but I vary it every couple of weeks depending on what I find at the local feed stores. Only think I don’t do is feed straight layer crumbles. I always cut them with something with less calcium. I also occasionally feed Azog raw and cooked meat, but not as much as I did when he free ranged. I also have oyster-shell available. Their water is coming out of my well. Sometimes I give it to them before the chlorinator and filter, which means its heavy sulfur and iron water, and other times its been chlorinated and filtered first.

Back
Top Bottom