Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I consider it unlikely to be Marek’s. There doesn’t seem to be a loss of motor skills. It just seems like both birds don’t want to put much weight on their foots as if it hurts to do so. I don’t know though what sort of injury would have happened to both of them. Unless perhaps a nail or screw somewhere they both stepped on. But seems like I should be able to see the injury then.
I had a cockerel who developed a sudden limp when I introduced him to the flock but had no sign of injury, like you described. He recovered, but later I had other birds that got full paralysis and wasted away, so I think the limp was actually due to Marek’s. I’m not saying that’s the case with your birds, but my experience has been that Marek’s can present in a variety of ways. It also affects different birds in different ways.

I had a cockerel who developed a sudden limp when I introduced him to the flock but had no sign of injury, like you described. He recovered, but later I had other birds that got full paralysis and wasted away, so I think the limp was actually due to Marek’s. I’m not saying that’s the case with your birds, but my experience has been that Marek’s can present in a variety of ways. It also affects different birds in different ways.

Although I can logically tell myself why its probably not Marek’s, my gut tells me I may about to be in for a major disappointment. The fayoumi has no visible injury to her foot either, and I felt her up good and couldn’t discern any injuries.

If I lose Azog, this is be a catastrophic setback for the project. I do not currently have more pure Liege to make more 3/4 birds.

Although I can logically tell myself why its probably not Marek’s, my gut tells me I may about to be in for a major disappointment. The fayoumi has no visible injury to her foot either, and I felt her up good and couldn’t discern any injuries.

If I lose Azog, this is be a catastrophic setback for the project. I do not currently have more pure Liege to make more 3/4 birds.
My cockerel recovered from the symptoms without progressing any further, so hopefully your’s can too. Watch out for wasting, wry neck, and an inability to fly.

I lost a couple 10mo or so old pullets to what I suspect was mercks. Started with a limp then it progressed to laying on thier side trying to move with a wing. I culled both at that time. Didn't have any other noticeable problems.

Last edited:
And also to my knowledge it's spread on feather dander so If one has it ,it's highly likely others have it too. I use Virkon S disinfectant cause once again to my knowledge it's one of if not the only disinfectant that works on mereks. I get the tablets and put in a pump up sprayer

If possible it's best to have backups just for good measure although I do know it's hard to do sometimes

And also to my knowledge it's spread on feather dander so If one has it ,it's highly likely others have it too. I use Virkon S disinfectant cause once again to my knowledge it's one of if not the only disinfectant that works on mereks. I get the tablets and put in a pump up sprayer

If possible it's best to have backups just for good measure although I do know it's hard to do sometimes

Yes, if its Marek’s I suspect its been present for a while and just not visibly effecting my birds. Last year some of the Americans I introduced died of Marek’s-like symptoms. Stumbling, lameness, ect.

I try to keep backups on different farms. There is a brother to Azog that looks like a bigger version of Indo who’s genetics I can tap back into again, but my hope is for each brother to start a line and then cross the lines after each is set.

Keeping backups on my farm is difficult for two reasons. First, a large number get weeded out on free range so what I start with is whichever survives. Its been difficult with the Liege crosses because so many wash out early on. I only get 1-2 adults for every 12-24 bitties I produce. My biggest setback was losing my 3 Liege hens. If I still had them I could keep cranking out more 3/4 Liege with Indo. So ultimately the hard-core free range life isn’t conducive for cranking out tons of the Liege crosses.

Second, those stags who survive have to be either cooped or sent off farm lest they then fall to which ever brood cock is on free range when the stags get spurs. I have 8 coops but all are in use at the moment. I probably have too many projects going on.

Back
Top Bottom