Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I agree, the only way to know if it's an allelic mutation(of Oocyan) it's with a full Quantitative Trait Locus (QTL) Analysis.
I agree that's the only way to know for sure.

But since we do know that the usual Oocyan mutation is linked to the pea comb locus, a few generations of test matings with pea comb birds could give some indications. If the blue egg gene she has is linked to her not-pea comb, it's more likely to be either the familiar mutation or another allele at that locus. If the blue egg and the not-pea comb assort independently, then she's most likely got something new.

I agree that's the only way to know for sure.

But since we do know that the usual Oocyan mutation is linked to the pea comb locus, a few generations of test matings with pea comb birds could give some indications. If the blue egg gene she has is linked to her not-pea comb, it's more likely to be either the familiar mutation or another allele at that locus. If the blue egg and the not-pea comb assort independently, then she's most likely got something new.
Correct, I am thinking that i's an allelic mutation like the one found on the Chinese blue eggers, unless is a recessive form like the one found on Quails.

6D78053C-58E9-42E3-A726-BA11B348AA5D.jpeg

Both of the surviving Liege x aseel chicks are doing well. They’re maturing very slowly. The stag still hasn’t developed spurs, but he does have bumps now. Also no crowing or sickle feathers yet. For comparison, my brother’s pure Liege and my pure aseel would already be behaving like roosters by now. He’s very aggressive though to other stags and is food dominant over all the other chickens. He’ll fight any male on sight. Currently he’s the size of a normal to large American game. I think he’ll be a whirling dervish in several more months. I think he has the potential to be the hawk killer I’m looking for.

Last edited:
View attachment 2955570

Both of the surviving Liege x aseel chicks are doing well. They’re maturing very slowly. The stag still hasn’t developed spurs, but he does have bumps now. Also no crowing or sickle feathers yet. For comparison, my brother’s pure Liege and my pure aseel would already be behaving like roosters by now. He’s very aggressive though to other stags and is food dominant over all the other chickens. He’ll fight any male on sight. Currently he’s the size of a normal to large American game. I think he’ll be a whirling dervish in several more months. I think he has the potential to be the hawk killer I’m looking for.
Extremely hype. Survive and thrive!

I’m also interested in what number 1 creates with liege x Aseel hen.

F6D08081-BD67-4811-9229-349EC2A60855.jpeg

The aseel x Liege are looking sharp. I just cooped them as N1 is now free ranging and the cross stag is incessant in trying to start a fight with N1. Eventually N1 will have enough and kill him. So both hybrids are penned. If I didn’t specify, the cross stag is named Indo for the Indoraptor hybrid dinosaur from the Jurassic World mythology.

The long awaiting Cracker x Liege cross is coming as soon as they start laying so long as N1 will breed them. Generally N1 hates the Liege hens but maybe he breeds them when I’m not looking.
D7AFDD4D-9551-436B-B6C4-88CE30ACD083.jpeg
F6FB2125-73E5-4AA6-8782-106BE4921195.jpeg

The aseel x Liege are looking sharp. I just cooped them as N1 is now free ranging and the cross stag is incessant in trying to start a fight with N1. Eventually N1 will have enough and kill him. So both hybrids are penned. If I didn’t specify, the cross stag is named Indo for the Indoraptor hybrid dinosaur from the Jurassic World

mythology.

The long awaiting Cracker x Liege cross is coming as soon as they start laying so long as N1 will breed them. Generally N1 hates the Liege hens but maybe he breeds them when I’m not looking.
Indo looks great! What are you going to be breeding him to? The other liege x Aseel?

Too bad about number 1 being picky with who he mates with. Hopefully, you will eventually be able to cross him into the liege x aseel genetics someday.

I’ll probably getting some genetics from you in about 6 months. Do you think the aseel x liege will be ready for sale by then?

Indo looks great! What are you going to be breeding him to? The other liege x Aseel?

Too bad about number 1 being picky with who he mates with. Hopefully, you will eventually be able to cross him into the liege x aseel genetics someday.

I’ll probably getting some genetics from you in about 6 months. Do you think the aseel x liege will be ready for sale by then?

I am currently planning on breeding the aseel x Liege with everything I have, including pure Cracker and pure Liege. I haven’t noticed N1 attacking the cross pullet like he does the pure Liege hens so I suspect he will breed her.

I think breeding Indo back to the Liege hens and then maybe again to their offspring will make for excellent free range birds. Something on the larger size like the Liege but with the fire of the aseel. Indo has that fire for sure. I think he is going to be a special kind of fierce when he’s grown. He father was/is a true gamefowl. I sent the aseel to a gamefarm south of me when I was done with breeding for the F1s and he’s caused all sorts of management problems there. Indo is showing more dominance and aggression drive now than his aseel father did at the same age. I think the Liege need that. My brother is raising pure Liege and although they are gorgeous and healthy birds, he can keep multiple bull stags in with hens no problem.

I don’t think the aseel x Liege will be ready this year. I ought to be able to produce eggs that will amount to F2s but the brother x sister crossing is likely to produce all sorts of strange results. Some will come out almost totally aseel-like. Others almost like pure Liege. And other still more combinations of the two I haven’t seen yet. To dublicate these F1s it will take a few generations of line breeding and selective culling. I’ll be able to produce eggs, I just can’t promise what you’ll get. I believe Indo to the Liege hens will produce more stable, albeit currently unknown, results.

Back
Top Bottom