Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
What I can’t follow is the odds. Wouldn’t the odds be 50/50 or better when Indo breeds to the straight comb to get straight combed offspring? What I’m seeing is only one in every few dozen are coming out straight combed.
I agree, the odds should be 50/50 for pea and single comb when Pp breeds pp.

Ratios can be really off when you have just a few chicks (like when 4 chicks come out the same gender as each other), but if you have several dozen chicks from Indo and single comb hens, that should be enough to see quite a few single combed offspring.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/partial-pea-combs-from-single-comb-parents-help.1332195/
This thread might shed some light on it. (Took me a bit to track it down, but I was sure I'd read something before about pea combs looking like single combs-- maybe that's what happened to Indo's son?)

I agree, the odds should be 50/50 for pea and single comb when Pp breeds pp.

Ratios can be really off when you have just a few chicks (like when 4 chicks come out the same gender as each other), but if you have several dozen chicks from Indo and single comb hens, that should be enough to see quite a few single combed offspring.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/partial-pea-combs-from-single-comb-parents-help.1332195/
This thread might shed some light on it. (Took me a bit to track it down, but I was sure I'd read something before about pea combs looking like single combs-- maybe that's what happened to Indo's son?)
507D1C04-3DF8-42B6-9138-B2F7DA3D009D.jpeg

Definitely a possibility its a “fake” straight comb on the new pullet. Although I would guess a comb that looked like a bit of both would suggest rrPp. Mongo has a hybrid looking comb that’s more pea than straight but throws lots of straight comb offspring.
3DB6F61D-C515-4F0D-9AD8-6D5587E03C95.jpeg

I’d say the cockerel is real straight.

BTW I tried to get a pic of Indo’s wing claws tonight but I just can’t do it without help.

764013C9-9FC1-4809-82E9-48CC8F894085.jpeg

View attachment 3283304

Definitely a possibility its a “fake” straight comb on the new pullet. Although I would guess a comb that looked like a bit of both would suggest rrPp. Mongo has a hybrid looking comb that’s more pea than straight but throws lots of straight comb offspring.
View attachment 3283307

I’d say the cockerel is real straight.

BTW I tried to get a pic of Indo’s wing claws tonight but I just can’t do it without help.

View attachment 3283310
Indo looks rrPp, single peacomb gene on a straight comb base. This type of peacomb is usually called a modified peacomb, meaning a single peacomb gene.

So if Indo does truly carry a single pea comb gene, then half of his offspring should be straight comb when he mates straight comb hens, right?
Yes, that’s what the odds would indicate.

Up to this point that hasn’t shook out. However, there is now a second Indo-layer cockerel sporting a straight comb and some of the pullets may as they develop.

Back
Top Bottom