development of opened "dead" chicks

thanks for the encouragement. Imagine a 5 year old and 3 year old helping. Good thing I'm a mom of boys. still it was very sad.

We had a homemade incubator. My 5 year old would like to try again. I'm trying to decide if we could use this incubator or if it was too primitive.

I'm guessing by the 4h website listed above that the left one was about 14 or 15 days and the right was 17 or so. That would coincide with my crazy decision to take them camping in our trailer with us. I couldn't leave them with anyone, and my husband laughed at the thought of delaying our trip. I held my plugged in incubator on my lap for the 2 hour drive. that might have done them in.... you think!

also, I had to open the lid in the last 3 days to rewet sponges,...was that it?

help

also all the eggs that formed chicks were in the center of the incubator... i don't know if that is significant. I just shudder at spending 200$ on an incubator for a one time hatch.

none of the 3 precious and expensive wheaten marans progressed much at all....
sad.png
does anybody know a source of wheaten chicks?

still need suggestions for stage of development of these chicks and any ideas of what happened to them....is this a homemade incubator problem?

My guess is day 18 or 19. It looks like the one on the right might have "started" to absorb the yolk, which doesn't usually start until day 19. Anyways that sucks, I'm sorry for you that that happened. I always crack mine open to see what in the heck happened...might be the biology major in me
big_smile.png
. Anyways, from the pictures it looks like they were positioned correctly, so it must have been a temp/humidity problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that pic. We had our australorp hen sitting on a nest, but the other girls kept adding to it, and someone was breaking them open. One day, someone finally crashed the nest and I found two broken eggs, the chicks were even a little farther along than that. I was so frustrated for them/me/her!!! Especially since then we have lost our roo.

so my question is: once they start absorbing the yolk, how long till they're done?

They usually start on day 19 and can take til day 21. Some faster, some slower. Just depends on the chick. I've had some hatch themselves, and the yolk wasn't all the way absorbed yet. But that's pretty much the time table.

Back
Top Bottom