Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

which tail set is preferred in the orps, some of mine have a higher tail angle than others I noticed some variation in the pics you posted too ? I'm looking for a good black orp boy to cross to my girls to increase the size and fluff factor. here is a pic of some of the girls from about a month ago
38899_100_1043.jpg

this is my boy Munstead
38899_100_1036.jpg

he is a pretty color but not very typey

I would love to see updated pictures Jody!
caf.gif
I am gearing for the next step of improvements in my group. I plan to mix my lavenders to my nice black stock that I have been showing. Can't wait to see what they produce.
smile.png

49849_dsc04345.jpg

Taking the lavender pullet to this cockerel
49849_dsc04338.jpg

Taking the lavender rooster to these two pullets
49849_dsc04329.jpg

49849_dsc04340.jpg

I am only going to keep the best of the best out of these crosses to breed back together.

Thanks so much for sharing your pics too!

muddyhorse - the American standard calls for a 25 degree angle. There are some pics at the following link and in the APA book that show the defined look you want to attain. http://www.orpy.demon.co.uk/The%20Orpington%20Breed%20of%20Fowl.htm
Yes
, the group I have pictured still needs culling. I am waiting until they finish maturing to be sure I make proper selections. They take so long to show their true type and overall conformation, so I will likely hold them through winter to ensure I don't give up someone too early. I also found that the numerous moults until maturity can change their appearance. So patiently waiting for the final result on this group.

We also plan to sort the roos and number them from best to least best. Starting with the best, he will be tested against the selected hens to ensure we eliminated unwanted traits and genes (i.e. mottling) effectively.

HenThymes - I'm so sorry. With work and school and now bitter cold temps, I just haven't got the camera out there to take pics. The birds are barely looking out their pop doors the last few days. Your black cockerel is beautiful! He should do some great things with the project. I promise to get some new pics soon to share.

Thanks so much Rob. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. Maybe someday we can get you some lavender chickens to enjoy. It is an addiction, you know.
smile.png

Quote:
Ha, be careful in the Bay Area ... We lived in Castro valley with a couple of old, old hens and our neighbor went nuts ... "What do you think this is Petaluma?"
Months later the hens died of OLD AGE!
But a great place to live for ten years. Glad to be in 87008!
smile.png

Joe

Quote:
Ha, be careful in the Bay Area ... We lived in Castro valley with a couple of old, old hens and our neighbor went nuts ... "What do you think this is Petaluma?"
Months later the hens died of OLD AGE!
But a great place to live for ten years. Glad to be in 87008!
smile.png

Joe

Sorry,
That was directed to Nifty.
big_smile.png

Joe

Quote:
Very nice hen, has she molted?
I know the Bay Area gets cold but not that cold ... compared to ... (get ready for some horrendous stories) ..put a golf ball in her nest box and add a little mood music.
lol.png

Joe

She is shaping up nicely Cheryl.
love.gif
I've got some younger gals a bit redder in the comb than her and no signs of laying from them yet either. This time of year, I expect they'll take their good ole time.

Back
Top Bottom