Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

I agree. It takes one oddball bird to start a new and unique variety. I was lucky enough to get a Mottled pop out of my Indiana line crossed with my Original Black Orp line. Then the hen who laid and hatched this Mottled molted. And is coming in as a Mottled. Needless to say I prize this little pullet like you guys value you Lav. Nice that the mother hen has popped her true colors out to expand my small Mottled project to 2 birds to use.

This is the Mottled as taken in the Barn out of the way from unfriendlys this morning. I will be taking her to her daddy, then her uncle to hope to see IF they too carry the same gene. IF not I will be having some Mottled splits come spring.
000_9081.jpg

We're not taking any chances with her. 9.25 dogs (Scanner is not quite a full fledged dog yet) are between her and anyone or thing that wants to grab her.
000_9055.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, they are exquisite!!

The hard work and dedication you have put into these birds is so obvious, I commend you for your patience and perseverance! You have a done a great service to Lav Orps and I look forward to continuing to watch your progress. Very exciting!!

I bought Lavender Orp eggs from an auction on here. Only one of them hatched gray, the others hatched yellow. Why? The person labeled the shells "LO". The eggs were light colored brown.

Quote:
Hi,
So does that mean the rooster was a Lav Orp-type looking bird? What were the other genes you recognized as important to the project?

Thanks,
Joe

I don't think Jody wants to let out her secret because she had worked hard getting where she needed to be at on her projects. It was not easy but Lester was not the BEST specimen she had but as the generations goes on, the color gotten better and crossing with Orp hens she had, would strengthen the Orp standard type that Lester lacked in the first place. So she is not very far off getting TRUE to the Orp standard.

I do remember the first posts of Lester and I thought OMG! What a gangly kid!

Thanks Neeleys!

pusskatkins, the yellow birds are mottled throwbacks from the project. You can see pics of them on my web site and I think I posted some in my first post here.

Joe, The bird was a chick when I got it, so didn't see any type yet..I just liked the color. The lavender color on orpington's was my vision. When I considered if he could possibly help me to work towards that vision, I researched the lavender orpingtons. There was very little info about lavender and even less on lavender orpingtons. I researched as much as I could while I watched him grow. The things that inspired me to use him were the following factors: large fowl, lavender color, white skin, single comb. His personality was less than desirable, but the other 4 factors drove the project forward and I culled for personality along the way. His size was ok, but I knew that would take work through effective breeding and selection to get it right.

Robin, I remember those early days with him too.
smile.png
Some days, I miss him and other times I think how far we've come and look at my new beautiful roosters and how beautiful they are becoming. Culling him was probably the hardest decision we made here, but those are the decisions that move you forward and I know it was the right thing to do.

Lester looked more like a Lavender Australorp than an Orpington. But then again, Australorp is short for Australian Orpington!

Why did you cull him? Or is that also unimportant?

Last edited by a moderator:
We culled him because he was no longer needed and he had a bad personality, so we decided not to rehome him to anyone as he was a safety risk to others. Naughty roos don't leave here.
wink.png

A genetics question for Lavender breeders. Can Lavender be combined with Black Lacing?

Back
Top Bottom