Devestation, i'm mad, heartbroken and i have given up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it's difficult to maintain livestock in a wildlife area. This is true even where I live, a semi-suburban area.
I guess part of my point is that if one dog can do it, so can another. So the best defense is always a good offense, an impenetrable, or close to impenetrable coop. I do think there are some non-lethal ways of deterring dogs and coyotes. To be honest with you, I would not shoot a coyote that had babies to care for. I would simply do everything in my power to protect the animals through non-lethal means. With calves, I would guess that would mean penning them in something the coyotes couldn't get into. Like I said, I understand it's frustrating. But poison is especially cruel and I can't advocate shooting the dog either, especially for the sake of the puppies.
Let me ask you this, do you think the dog has any guard dog characteristics? Could it be valuable to someone for that reason?
I don't believe the dog is around today.
I think the coyotes got her.

be honest with you, I would not shoot a coyote that had babies to care for. I would simply do everything in my power to protect the animals through non-lethal means.

HOW CAN YOU TELL/KNOW the coyote attacking your coop/barn/livestock is male/female? Do you ASK it to roll over?

No, and I don't go around shooting things as a rule either. I use brains, not bullets.
But if I saw coyote pups, that would be a good indication.
It makes me curious. With all these coyotes prowling your property, would shooting one dog really be the solution? I would think the coyotes would get the chickens.

Last edited:
No, and I don't go around shooting things as a rule either. I use brains, not bullets.
But if I saw coyote pups, that would be a good indication.
It makes me curious. With all these coyotes prowling your property, would shooting one dog really be the solution? I would think the coyotes would get the chickens.
They didn't. Neither did the raccoons,skunk,possum, or fox. I guess the coyote figured easier prey with rabbits squirrels, baby (there's that word baby again)coons and possums (I wonder if the coyote ask ), rats mice and other animals.
Oh! Don't forget the feral hogs destroying property attacking livestock-they have LOTS of babies.

I understand it's difficult to maintain livestock in a wildlife area. This is true even where I live, a semi-suburban area.
I guess part of my point is that if one dog can do it, so can another. So the best offense is always a good defense, an impenetrable, or close to impenetrable coop. I do think there are some non-lethal ways of deterring dogs and coyotes. To be honest with you, I would not shoot a coyote that had babies to care for. I would simply do everything in my power to protect my animals through non-lethal means. With calves, I would guess that would mean penning them in something the coyotes couldn't get into. Like I said, I understand it's frustrating. But poison is especially cruel and I can't advocate shooting the dog either, especially for the sake of the puppies.
Let me ask you this, do you think the dog has any guard dog characteristics? Could it be valuable to someone for that reason?
To quote one of many sensible posts.
  1. I don't think its right to be mean to OP right now. Everyone who says you shouldn;t kill, etc. I'm on your side, but no one will ever agree with us if we aren't polite about it. There are times for harsh words - this isn't one of them.
  2. Why are you all suggesting to kill the dog? Really, it isn't the legality of it, and "oh yeah, it's your livestock, you can kill the dog and just do it." It's the morality.
  3. There are other, non-lethal ways to stop predators. Electric fences for one. If you have a proper coop, and you make sure your chickens are in at night, you should never have a problem TBH. I know that for small predators, like cats, people shoot water guns at them repeatedly as a deterrant, to "teach" them. You can even shoot a gun in the air or a bit close to the animal to scare them off. You have so many options, why kill?
  4. I'm not actually a dog lover. I wouldn't ever really consider a dog as a pet, etc. I'm an animal lover. I love dogs simply because they are animals. The same way I love, say, bobcats. I would never, ever, kill any animal unless I or someone else would die otherwise. This is not a life-or-death situation.
  5. I have a question for you all: if say, your neighbor's mother cat came into your garden and tried to eat your chickens, would you shoot her? Really?

A response to @Matejka : This is what I would say in the situation. Above all, I send lots of hugs because this is a terrible thing to happen to anyone. This is what I would try to do: Get the pullet set up with something safe, whether it's in the garage, house, outdoors, basement, guest bathroom, what ever, and give her a stuffed animal friend. Then take some time off. Take care of your S/O. Cracked ribs are no joke!! Give yourself some self care time as well. Take some time to calm down and enjoy yourself, then focus on fixing up everything not chicken related. Don't worry about the dog, don't worry about the coop, don't worry about the coyotes. Wait until you've rebuilt yourself and the rest of your life before worrying about a chicken coop. When you do eventually rebuild it, maybe use electric fencing, like others on here have suggested. This is the chance to rebuild anything you didn't like with your past coop-doorway too low so you had to duck? fix it! Couldn't clean the nesting boxes very well? Build them differently this time! This is a horrible thing to happen to anyone and I just want to send lots of hugs. Everything will get better :hugs :hugs :hugs

Wow this post did really go south from the beginning and from when I read it and replied a few days ago. OP I am sorry that your SO has suffered so much and you have had to deal with so much crap with it all rolled up in a ball of twine. As far as what you do about it and who or what you shoot or who you get involved or not that is your business and only your business not any of ours to say or judge. We are not there or in your shoes. If I was there and something killed one of my nine hens that I had raised from day old chicks I would most likely be the first one to load the gun and aim it at the culprit whether it was a mama dog or a mama snow leopard listed on the endangered species list. They are just that precious to me. I have some Swedish Flower Hens that are not that great in numbers here in the U. S. Or in Sweden and if something killed one of them it would have to die also. It’s just that simple. An eye for an eye on that matter. I am not that way on everything but I would be on my animals and birds. They are like my children and precious items to me. I don’t even like to use the word item in describing them. It feels cold and materialist and they are more than materialistic objects to us they are part of the family and we love them. They are more than livestock. They are also pets and protected and provided for. We care about them dearly. Yes I would take the dog out and I love dogs. My own are precious also to me but yes I would shoot the dang dog. So shoot me!

Some good advice has been given and some poor advice has been given in my opinion, which I know isn't worth much. I feel for the OP. My opinion is a pregnant dog was dropped off and wound up on the porch of her neighbor (which is family) who really doesn't care about the dog, animal control/law enforcement won't deal with it. She appears to be in a pickle. Many years ago I had several birds killed. Luckily I had two females and a male that survived. I built up my flock with those birds and put electric wires around my coops and pens. Nothing has gotten past the electric.
frog.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom