Devices to warn off predators.

I built two fish ponds and stocked them with mosquito fish, goldfish, and some Koi. The raccoons came for dinner every night, and also destroyed the pond plants. They even pulled away the chicken wire I used to cover the ponds in an effort to keep some goldfish. I was left with just the mosquito fish.

Then I got chickens, and was very careful building for security. When the flock was still small and fairly young, I bought some Night Guard units ("what the heck, maybe these things will work").

I don't care WHAT people say about "raccoons are color blind," "why not just put up some blinking Xmas lights," and other snarky comments. I have NOT had any predation on the chickens AND I have been able to keep goldfish in the ponds again. Plus, there's no evidence of night-time raccoon visits, either. I don't need to use chicken wire on the ponds.

I've had my Nite Guard units for over a year, now. Still blinking merrily away in the night. Because I'm enlarging the run perimeter, I'm going to buy some more - and there's another product that does the same thing, but has two red blinking lights on each unit. I might try a couple of those, too. But I know the originals work.

I have four Night Guards, one on each side of the coop/run and have never had any hint of a predator problem - and I live in the woods. But my coop/run ARE Fort Knox. Nothing short of a Grizzly bear is getting in there.

Have any of you used the big plastic owl to fend off hawks? I am heartbroken this morning. I had six pastured hens, hatched April 2007, carefully raised on buttermilk soaked bread, bean sprouts, vitamins, etc. They came through every winter beautifully. Last July my neighbor's black lab came into my yard, pen, and killed three. We have a tractor coop with plastic fencing (no overhead wire but steel posts). We finally let the other three out a week or so ago to free range in the yard during the day. A hawk killed one. (We have no close neighbors.) We penned the two up and yesterday a hawk killed the last two inside their pen. Both attacks happened around noon. These two just started to lay. The past two winters they didn't. Our hens have always been securely cooped up at night against the night predators.

I am interested in buying Welsummer chicks this spring if I can raise them w/o the hawk, which seems to live nearby. DH doesn't want to bother with more chicks so unless I can pen them securely, I won't bother raising more. I read about the black box but need more info. We've always had a dog but don't want one at our age. Any thoughts appreciated.

Have any of you used the big plastic owl to fend off hawks? I am heartbroken this morning. I had six pastured hens, hatched April 2007, carefully raised on buttermilk soaked bread, bean sprouts, vitamins, etc. They came through every winter beautifully. Last July my neighbor's black lab came into my yard, pen, and killed three. We have a tractor coop with plastic fencing (no overhead wire but steel posts). We finally let the other three out a week or so ago to free range in the yard during the day. A hawk killed one. (We have no close neighbors.) We penned the two up and yesterday a hawk killed the last two inside their pen. Both attacks happened around noon. These two just started to lay. The past two winters they didn't. Our hens have always been securely cooped up at night against the night predators.

I am interested in buying Welsummer chicks this spring if I can raise them w/o the hawk, which seems to live nearby. DH doesn't want to bother with more chicks so unless I can pen them securely, I won't bother raising more. I read about the black box but need more info. We've always had a dog but don't want one at our age. Any thoughts appreciated.

In my opinion now that hawks know they can get to hens they are trained to look for them and no plastic owl will help long term. The only thing that will protect them is wire over and around them.​

We put a radio in the area that plays talk radio. The flashing of that little "equalizer" screen and the sound of a human voice seems to give the predators reason to think twice. And like was said before (See my Avatar), build the place like Fort Knox. Don't rely on nails or wire to keep the hardware cloth on there...use screws or concrete.

I've had coyotes, coons and skunk on my property.

Last spring, I had 50 boilers which I had in a homemade pasture pen with an opening on one end. I enclosed that end using just snow fencing. What kept predators at bay? Luck and talk radio. I'm sure over time they'd get use to the radio. I've done that for 2 summer batches of boilers without losing one of them.

Quote:
I think because broilers grow fast what you do works well. What you do only has to last for several months. I wouldn't count on it for free range hens for years on end like country lady does.

Thanks for the comments. Black Cochin Bantams, we didn't free range our hens for years on end. Free range was a recent thing, just several times. They stayed near the coop even then.

Back
Top Bottom