Devices to warn off predators.

Papa Rooster

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 15, 2010
Hello! I Have chickens, quail, and im going to get some turkeys. Sadly a few days ago something ate all my chickens. I get a magizen from backyard poultry and i was wondering if the black box worked. its a black box with a red light in it. its suppossed to scare wolfs, foxes. owls, raccons, and most other predators i was just wondering if it worked. th thing that ate m birds ripped of the chicken wire from my coop so it has to be a wolf cyote or a dog. thanks!

Sorry to hear you lost all of your chickens. I am not familiar with the black box so no comment on that. It must have been a pretty strong pred to pull the wire off though.

OH YEAH Welcome from Eastern Wa. there are alot of folks on here that have experience with preds they will chime in.

Last edited:
A 12 gauge works pretty well for me.
idunno.gif

The item you are asking about (Night gaurd I think it's called) has good revues, but I've never tried it myself.

I use the little black box, Nite Guard. Two of them. I have used them for about three years now and have had NO predators in the yard. It might make a difference that I live in the City; however, my property is along a creek well stocked with raccoons, 'possums, skunks, hawks and snakes. I think the Nite Guard is a great tool and is making my birds safer.

Another note, my run is totally enclosed and the coop is locked up like Fort Knox at night. Even so, there has been no evidence of critters hanging around. My girls only free range for an hour or so a day and I stay out with them at all times to look out for them.

Sometimes I think people think something works when it is just luck. I hunted coons at night for years. I would put a red lens over the light to get them to look. They were not afraid of a red light. I would not put all my eggs in one basket counting on a black box with a red light to counter predator problems. I think a yappy dog or a shotgun are about the only sure deterrents. A coon will rip up chicken wire and get in also. Perhaps some heavier wire (2"x4"x36-48 tall) outside of the poultry wire to provide an additional barrier between your poultry and predators.

Last edited:
My two large weimaraners keep predators at bay. When they see a hawk they chase it out of their territory (and the blue heron to protect the frogs and fish). The coyotes give our 5 acres a wide berth, but we hear them around us. Haven't seen a fox in years. The coons sometimes trespass, but between my two weims and the neighbours GSP they either die or beat it out of here FAST. And my barred rock roo helps to keep the little hawks away. He hurls himself up in the air at them shreaking bloody murder. They are just the size of grey doves so they wouldn't have much luck with either the hens or the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom