Devil pants! And Satan shoes!

Katanahamon

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
I’ve cared for my babies for 18 weeks today. I guess I didn’t realize it, but, I’ve always worn my jeans and black tennis shoes to go out to the coop.

So, I got some new sloggers shoes in the mail to replace my worn, tied type tennis shoes..they fit fine, camo pattern. Tonight, I went out to put the chickens to bed, I was wearing some plaid night pants, slipped on the new shoes. Went into the coop first, one of my Speckled Sussex was already exploring, I said hi sweetheart, turned around in there, suddenly, I heard a tremendous flapping, she disappeared. I thought huh, she must have gotten spooked. Got out of the coop, Went into the run, and..

They all freaked out.

They all ran to the end, away from me..and were staring at me, frozen. Apparently the new shoes and pattern of pants was the Chicken Devil’s work..guess I always wore my jeans, black shoes, or solid blue or black night pants..no matter how I apologized, or cajoled, nope, weren’t having it.

The black Australorp finally came to my lap, the others cautiously surrounded me but weren’t having any of it, kind of frozen, suspicious. I went back inside, changed clothes, came back and they were fine with it..

Ive been watching the Coghill family website, they talk about how observant their emu is, how it knows the slightest change on the property..I didn’t realize how stunningly observant the chickens were until they looked at me like I was The Devil. It was kind of endearing, or..creepy. Guess I’m stuck with wearing my jeans..! How funny!

That is very odd. I have worn everything from heavily patterned leggings to boxer briefs to plaid around my birds (chicken, guinea, quail) and all manner of foot ware and the most interest they have shown is to sometimes curiously peck at colorful shoes. Are you quite sure there were no other variables?
I think it’s the consistency of what I’ve always worn..solid colors for this whole time, then the blue white plaid freaked them for whatever reason..

I’ve cared for my babies for 18 weeks today. I guess I didn’t realize it, but, I’ve always worn my jeans and black tennis shoes to go out to the coop.

So, I got some new sloggers shoes in the mail to replace my worn, tied type tennis shoes..they fit fine, camo pattern. Tonight, I went out to put the chickens to bed, I was wearing some plaid night pants, slipped on the new shoes. Went into the coop first, one of my Speckled Sussex was already exploring, I said hi sweetheart, turned around in there, suddenly, I heard a tremendous flapping, she disappeared. I thought huh, she must have gotten spooked. Got out of the coop, Went into the run, and..

They all freaked out.

They all ran to the end, away from me..and were staring at me, frozen. Apparently the new shoes and pattern of pants was the Chicken Devil’s work..guess I always wore my jeans, black shoes, or solid blue or black night pants..no matter how I apologized, or cajoled, nope, weren’t having it.

The black Australorp finally came to my lap, the others cautiously surrounded me but weren’t having any of it, kind of frozen, suspicious. I went back inside, changed clothes, came back and they were fine with it..

Ive been watching the Coghill family website, they talk about how observant their emu is, how it knows the slightest change on the property..I didn’t realize how stunningly observant the chickens were until they looked at me like I was The Devil. It was kind of endearing, or..creepy. Guess I’m stuck with wearing my jeans..! How funny!
From the chickens perspective anything that changes its feathers every ten minutes is a wrong-un.:D
In general life with chickens is a lot easier if you wear the same clothes when you interact with them, or at least similar looking cloths.

Certainly made me think! I guess they saw the same solid colors for so long, I threw them for a loop..try wearing an all white disposable chemical suit out there and see what they do..lol..or yellow..
My birds are curious, & usually check out what's new, & get used to it pretty quickly.

Mine don't care what I wear, although they love to peck at fuzzy things more, and had serious issues with winter coats. (I had to send 3 back because the chickens wouldn't come near me.) But I've always worn different clothes around them, and interacted with them a LOT since they were day-olds.

Back
Top Bottom