Devil pants! And Satan shoes!

Katanahamon

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
I’ve cared for my babies for 18 weeks today. I guess I didn’t realize it, but, I’ve always worn my jeans and black tennis shoes to go out to the coop.

So, I got some new sloggers shoes in the mail to replace my worn, tied type tennis shoes..they fit fine, camo pattern. Tonight, I went out to put the chickens to bed, I was wearing some plaid night pants, slipped on the new shoes. Went into the coop first, one of my Speckled Sussex was already exploring, I said hi sweetheart, turned around in there, suddenly, I heard a tremendous flapping, she disappeared. I thought huh, she must have gotten spooked. Got out of the coop, Went into the run, and..

They all freaked out.

They all ran to the end, away from me..and were staring at me, frozen. Apparently the new shoes and pattern of pants was the Chicken Devil’s work..guess I always wore my jeans, black shoes, or solid blue or black night pants..no matter how I apologized, or cajoled, nope, weren’t having it.

The black Australorp finally came to my lap, the others cautiously surrounded me but weren’t having any of it, kind of frozen, suspicious. I went back inside, changed clothes, came back and they were fine with it..

Ive been watching the Coghill family website, they talk about how observant their emu is, how it knows the slightest change on the property..I didn’t realize how stunningly observant the chickens were until they looked at me like I was The Devil. It was kind of endearing, or..creepy. Guess I’m stuck with wearing my jeans..! How funny!

Mine are just over a year old and don't pay attention to anything we wear except for my daughter's pink and brown plaid pants and my husband's green and black plaid shirt. Those will throw the whole group into a panic. They both wear other plaid patterns without an issue🤷‍♀️
I also have an outfit that I wore to work once that terrified them, but I looked in the mirror and realized that my khaki skirt, off white top and long rust sweater made me look like a giant hawk so I don't count that🤣

I’ve cared for my babies for 18 weeks today. I guess I didn’t realize it, but, I’ve always worn my jeans and black tennis shoes to go out to the coop.

So, I got some new sloggers shoes in the mail to replace my worn, tied type tennis shoes..they fit fine, camo pattern. Tonight, I went out to put the chickens to bed, I was wearing some plaid night pants, slipped on the new shoes. Went into the coop first, one of my Speckled Sussex was already exploring, I said hi sweetheart, turned around in there, suddenly, I heard a tremendous flapping, she disappeared. I thought huh, she must have gotten spooked. Got out of the coop, Went into the run, and..

They all freaked out.

They all ran to the end, away from me..and were staring at me, frozen. Apparently the new shoes and pattern of pants was the Chicken Devil’s work..guess I always wore my jeans, black shoes, or solid blue or black night pants..no matter how I apologized, or cajoled, nope, weren’t having it.

The black Australorp finally came to my lap, the others cautiously surrounded me but weren’t having any of it, kind of frozen, suspicious. I went back inside, changed clothes, came back and they were fine with it..

Ive been watching the Coghill family website, they talk about how observant their emu is, how it knows the slightest change on the property..I didn’t realize how stunningly observant the chickens were until they looked at me like I was The Devil. It was kind of endearing, or..creepy. Guess I’m stuck with wearing my jeans..! How funny!
From the chickens perspective anything that changes its feathers every ten minutes is a wrong-un.:D
In general life with chickens is a lot easier if you wear the same clothes when you interact with them, or at least similar looking cloths.

They are smarter than we think.
At my local pet store i noticed that Dave (the owner and guy that feeds them) always wears blue jens and plaid shirt. The fish tanks on the walls go from ancle level to 6 ft up. When Dave walks by ALL the fish croud the front of the tank and follow Dave as far as they can. When i pass, or look they all scatter to the back of the aquarims.
Who would have thought!
Fish recognize you!

That's so funny. Ours are fine with different outfits, but I brought a book instead of my phone to sit with them at supper last night, and they were slightly taken aback. Probably alarmed me more than them, as it dawned that they rarely see me with a book these days – I really need to get back to books!

That's so funny. Ours are fine with different outfits, but I brought a book instead of my phone to sit with them at supper last night, and they were slightly taken aback. Probably alarmed me more than them, as it dawned that they rarely see me with a book these days – I really need to get back to books!
I know, right? When they get alarmed and look at you like you are some sort of danger, it makes you feel terrible! My Black Australorp slowly..came..towards..me..and..got..in..my lap, but it was like “ I really don‘t like this, but, I’m doing it for you!” as the others warily surrounded me and gave the odd clothes a few test-pecks..so, so funny..

Back
Top Bottom