Devil pants! And Satan shoes!

That's so funny. Ours are fine with different outfits, but I brought a book instead of my phone to sit with them at supper last night, and they were slightly taken aback. Probably alarmed me more than them, as it dawned that they rarely see me with a book these days – I really need to get back to books!
I know, right? When they get alarmed and look at you like you are some sort of danger, it makes you feel terrible! My Black Australorp slowly..came..towards..me..and..got..in..my lap, but it was like “ I really don‘t like this, but, I’m doing it for you!” as the others warily surrounded me and gave the odd clothes a few test-pecks..so, so funny..

I used to have no problem with our very aggressive rooster when I was a kid - he knew I was boss (partly because I spent so much time cuddling him and begging him to be good). The one time he went for me was when I went out in my maroon coloured soccer kit - just the same colour as his feathers! They definitely can tell ;)

This peculiarity of memory in chickens is due to their evolution. Chickens are domesticated birds, so they don't need to remember where the danger was.

Too funny! Maybe they didn't appreciate your fashion sense. Little divas! :lau

My chickens don't pay attention to what I'm wearing for the most part. They're too busy looking to see if I have treats in my hands. Colorful leggings will get pecked by one, though.

Yesterday I took the purple muck bucket to clean the coop. The same bucket Ive used from day one but somehow the bucket is now a demon bucket.
Betty the leghorn hit it. I thought she had accidently run into it but she followed me and when I set it down in the yard she flew at it. Neck feathers raised , claws out.
Its now a scary , bad , demonic , purple bucket. Note to self, buy new bucket.

This peculiarity of memory in chickens is due to their evolution. Chickens are domesticated birds, so they don't need to remember where the danger was.
The owner will take care of it, and there will be no danger next time. True, this doesn't work with inedible objects, but it's difficult to understand for the hen. That's why she tries to peck the rope, ball, slippers and other objects from time to time, climbs into the vegetable garden, although it was forbidden, will approach the other pets, even though they carry danger for her.

I’ve cared for my babies for 18 weeks today. I guess I didn’t realize it, but, I’ve always worn my jeans and black tennis shoes to go out to the coop.

So, I got some new sloggers shoes in the mail to replace my worn, tied type tennis shoes..they fit fine, camo pattern. Tonight, I went out to put the chickens to bed, I was wearing some plaid night pants, slipped on the new shoes. Went into the coop first, one of my Speckled Sussex was already exploring, I said hi sweetheart, turned around in there, suddenly, I heard a tremendous flapping, she disappeared. I thought huh, she must have gotten spooked. Got out of the coop, Went into the run, and..

They all freaked out.

They all ran to the end, away from me..and were staring at me, frozen. Apparently the new shoes and pattern of pants was the Chicken Devil’s work..guess I always wore my jeans, black shoes, or solid blue or black night pants..no matter how I apologized, or cajoled, nope, weren’t having it.

The black Australorp finally came to my lap, the others cautiously surrounded me but weren’t having any of it, kind of frozen, suspicious. I went back inside, changed clothes, came back and they were fine with it..

Ive been watching the Coghill family website, they talk about how observant their emu is, how it knows the slightest change on the property..I didn’t realize how stunningly observant the chickens were until they looked at me like I was The Devil. It was kind of endearing, or..creepy. Guess I’m stuck with wearing my jeans..! How funny!
Love Jason & Brooke...

Back
Top Bottom