Deviled Egg, How Fresh?

Gunther45

Hatching
May 23, 2015
I have heard that you cant use fresh eggs to make deviled eggs. Mostly because I think they white breaks apart. This Thanksgiving I gave my mother eggs that were 2-3 weeks old.
I Do not Wash my eggs prior to using them. I do however being brought up as a good American refrigerate them. These were the best Deviled Eggs I have had. So I want to know what is the freshest I can use since I refrigerate them after collecting?

They say not to use fresh eggs because they are harder to peel as the whites stick to the membrane when peeling creating a mess. As eggs age the whites get thinner and separate from the membrane and therefore makes peeling easier. You want to use eggs that are at least a week old or older fore best results

We find the 2 week old or older ones peel a whole lot easier...

We tried using some very fresh ones this year for turkey day as we didn't have enough older ones in the fridge and it was day and night, never going to bother with fresh ones again the older ones were just so much easier to peel...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/blooies-rockin-deviled-eggs

Well, you could take a look here and see how successful I was with fresh eggs. Tongue in cheek recipe, of course.

That was an awesome set of step by step instructions
lau.gif
. I've seen quite a few deviled eggs look exactly like that a time or two in my own kitchen. Thanks for the memories
big_smile.png

My 10 day old eggs peeled like a dream. I think dropping them into ice water straight from the boiling water helps. I had some issues in peeling 7 day old eggs... so Iwill be going 10 days or more for boiling.

Back
Top Bottom