Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

So neat to watch the development. Thanks for the update.

Today will be day 2 for my eggs. I figure around day 5 I will candle when I lay my big guy down on the rack.
big_smile.png
Ohh ill do the duck eggs too LOL I think I am more excited about the accidental goose egg than I am about my duck eggs which I specifically bought
gig.gif
Maybe I like the challenge

my mom has a tolouse/chinse cross gander who is 1 yr old. the hen who was his age died all of a sudden, since this the gander has gotten really mean. Everyone we talk to say tolouse are very friendly, so is it him losing the mate, being a cross, or just a mean goose? Mom had prue chinse for years and all the geese were messed with as babies, but he is getting really bad. The tolouse geese the guy had that my mom got the babies from, didn't have all them cute flaps of skin, are there diff types of tolouse geese?

DEWLAP UPDATE DAY 6.5
Hi All

The 2 embryos are growing rapidly and now their supporting system of blood vessels are growing out over the yolk sac
smile.png
They are unmistakenly fertile and easily seen on candling. I would say that Day 6/7 is the best day to check for early fertility as the embryo and vessels are so easily seen.

The remaining 4 eggs are infertile with no evidence of any embryo development and will be now removed from the incubator.

Thanks to those that are following the thread and a couple of quick answers;

Even though our Toulouse are generally very placid the Ganders have become increasingly aggressive as we enter the breeding season and we view this as normal behaviour. Also a cross may not be as placid as the Dewlaps. The Toulouse described in the last post sounds like a Utility Toulouse which lacks the dewlap and large keel. Hope that helps
smile.png

First post of the thread now updated with today's picture of the embryo

Goodnight from the UK folks - Pete
wink.png

my eggs are on day 5 today. i candled last night on day 4 i could see a red speck smaller than a grain of rice in 3 eggs. going to candle tonight i hope i can more tonight. going to be watching this thread alot. thanks
cool.png

DEWLAP UPDATE DAY 7.5
The 2 fertile eggs are developing well. Now the eye is visible on candling and I saw the head move. The vessels are growing out over the yolk sac surface only. Within the egg a tiny 'balloon' that is covered with blood vessels will be starting to grow from the embryo's navel. The 'balloon' enlarges rapidly and grows out to line the entire inner surface of the eggshell. This is the chorio-allantoic membrane. By lining the eggshell the blood vessels are placed in close contact with the pores of the eggshell. The permits gas and water molecule exchange.

Good turning promotes even growth and if this vital membrane is stunted in growth then the embryo will be dead in shell. If only 75% of this membrane is healthy how will the growing embryo obtain adequate vital oxygen and lose sufficient water molecules. Mistakes now are paid for in late incubation with embryonic deaths.

Thanks for all the positive comments and hope those eggs are showing fertile Critterranch
fl.gif

Pictures updated on the first post of this thread.

Bye for folks, Pete
smile.png

thanks going a candle every night to see how mine compare. my eggs last night were on day 6 but look like your day 7.5 i think its because of my still air and temp differences. my 2 maybe eggs are fertile and catching up thery look like day 5 now. i experence this alot with my duck eggs. i think it is just varying temps in my still air. when i turn my eggs i move them around in my bator in different rows so none ever get stuck in a cool spot.

DEWLAP UPDATE DAY 8.5
The eggs continue to do well and there is continued growth of the embryos and the yolk sac blood vessels which now cover the entire upper surface. There appears to be a hazy disk around the embryo about the 1.5cm diameter. This is the amniotic sac which protects the fragile tissues. The embryo still is in the same orientation but now the neck is bent over and its beak faces downwards towards the yolk sac.

Hi Critterranch. Pleased to hear your eggs are progressing well and seems like they're on track. They may be a little ahead due to being a different breed of goose and/or variations in our incubators and techniques.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom