Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

Quote:
fl.gif
We are all with you. Good Luck Pete

Pete, I like you, am at work (although only from 12 to 7) so was out all day with no idea if I had done wrong. Both goslings were out when I got home. One seems to have a watery wobbly looking head, but I think it might just have a dewlap. Tred to candle the reamining four, but my candling light died and I have no spare batteries, although I think one may still be good. Will give them another day or two and see what happens. Am only on day 32 so will try and keep on until day 35. One seems to have 'lost' it's air cell completely, only a tiny little bit is visible, what is going on in there? It has not pipped, and doesn't seem to be moving at all, but I can't get a proper good look as my lamp is gone. Any ideas there anyone?

Sarah - Your goose with no air cell or movement might be at the wrong end of the egg. For the first time last week I had one pip at the wrong end and he came out by himself with no problem. Just a thought.

I set mine on a Friday in the evening, so I think I count the first day as a Saturday, if so it's Wednesday evening now which would make my 2 remaining eggs at day 32 if I'm correct, only seeing the slight shadow at the back of the aircell with fluttering movement in that area of the shells, have been drying them out twice daily for the 15 minutes and running the Incubator at 20 percent humidity, really don't know exactly what to do next as I don't think they have Internally pipped yet, not hearing any noises from them yet and I've held them to my ear listening for any noises, the one I lost was peeping, so really wondering what to do next with these 2 eggs that have not Internally pipped yet, the one egg is lighter in weight as it is smaller in size than the other egg, the larger egg has lost some weight, I'm just hoping by them cooling that it won't make the membranes thick and cause them to have a problem breaking them open.

Victoria

Have fingers and toes crossed for you Pete!

fl.gif
. Howdy Pete!You better know I'm crossing my fingers and toes for ya after all the help you've given me! When you get a second, I have a couple questions about the dewlaps. I posted them earlier but it was a post that I edited so you probably didn't see it. First was when do the dewlaps' feet and bills start turning color but I got my answer as mine have started getting a sort of pinkish tint to them and they are about 3 weeks old. Another question I had was, when do they start to develop their dewaps and large keels. I read somewhere online that they don't start to develop until a year or more in age. My concern is how or I should say when will I be able to know for sure that my babies are actually dewlaps and not just standard production Toulouse? This is a concern for me because I got my eggs from ebay and you just never really know who you can trust these days. Is there a way to tell a Production from a Dewlap as goslings? And finally, when do you think I can put my new baby in with the other two? I tried introducing them and my older female bit the baby! What a meanie she was!
tongue.gif
lol I'm guessing slow and steady wins the race on this one?

Whew. Ok I'm done! Sorry for all the questions. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find any answers. Take your time though, I know you're super busy right now!

Can't wait to hear how hatching goes! Ill be thinkin of ya and sending good vibage your way!

Still can't figure out how to post pics with my phone! Hopefully my avatar will be a pic of little Glenda. That's the only way I can show her off for now.
he.gif

Many Blessings all! Buh Bye!
smile.png

Ok, one more pipped last night, but had it's nostrils covered with a jelly like mess of membrane. He didn't make it. On examining it, it looked too big. I opened up the shell and removed it's head out from under the wing (it was positioned fine) and it's head was massively swollen. It was fairly disgusting to be honest. I know this is a humidity issue - was it too high or too low during incubation? I may not eggtopsy the remaining eggs tonight, I will remove them all. My candling light went kaput yesterday evening and I thought I saw two live goslings then but one of those was the dead in shell this morning.

Very disappointed. Two attempts at hatching geese, and I got 0/8 last time and only 3/7 this time, with one very weak looking and unlikely to survive.

They all went mad for chopped grapes though this morning!

Sorry to hear that Sarah I hope you have better luck with your next batch.

Pete I hope yours come soon. One of my duck eggs is hatching right now. Little early but she is still doing ok in her shell knitting a sweater or something.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom