Dewlap Toulouse eyes

Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Both of my Toulouse seem to be partially blind due to obstructed vision. They both run into things, one more than the other because both of her eyes are affected, though in different ways. Her left eye seems like the outer portion is too thick, and the right eye seems like her bone structure is wrong. Her sister has the same issue in one eye where the outer portion seems too thick. Her other eye looks normal. When I contacted the breeder, she told me that sometimes their eyes are swollen when they have difficulties hatching. These two had no trouble hatching whatsoever. Their eyes do not appear infected like they would need medication. Is there anything normal about this for the Dewlap breed? They are 4 weeks old.
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2858.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    663.2 KB · Views: 4
I don't have dewlap just French so really can't comment that is why I tagged @Iain Utah since she has this breed. Hopefully she'll see the tag.

Your babies are beautiful, I'm sorry they are having problems with their eyes,

I don't have dewlap just French so really can't comment that is why I tagged @Iain Utah since she has this breed. Hopefully she'll see the tag.

Your babies are beautiful, I'm sorry they are having problems with their eyes,
You are so sweet! I have looked everywhere to get info on this breed. I guess I should have stuck with a little more common breed, but these guys look so fat and puffy and lazy and adorable that I just couldn’t resist! 🥰

Both of their eyes look even worse this morning. 😢 I have found the one gosling by herself in the yard while the others are way off in the field. She loses sight of them and then just sits down by herself, lost.

I had one goose that went blind from aggressive cataracts when she was a few months old. Same kind of symptoms you describe. We took her to a vet to confirm. We paired her with a sweet boy and set them up in their own yard. As other birds became injured or elderly, we'd add them to that yard, and she developed quite a family. She lived a great life, despite being blind, until she passed away from heart problems when she was 6yo.

I had one goose that went blind from aggressive cataracts when she was a few months old. Same kind of symptoms you describe. We took her to a vet to confirm. We paired her with a sweet boy and set them up in their own yard. As other birds became injured or elderly, we'd add them to that yard, and she developed quite a family. She lived a great life, despite being blind, until she passed away from heart problems when she was 6yo.
Awww… thank you for sharing about her. I will look up info on cataracts. People breed with no regard to the offspring, only a big regard for the money they are bringing in. It’s infuriating.

Back
Top Bottom