Kstringfield95

Hatching
Feb 22, 2024
Hi!

I went to check on my animals the other day and noticed that my goose had a stinger/thorn stuck out of his “horn” area and was acting weird. There was a ton of swelling on his right side really affecting his eye and crown and horn area.

So we got it out and noticed it seemed to go down the tiniest bit. The piece looked more like a thorn so we just assumed it was irritated and thought it would just go down overnight since it was only in for about 2 hours. Fast forward the next day and it is swollen up again. And then by the end of yesterday it seemed to be going down again. This morning I just got back in from checking on it and it is swollen up again.

Anyone have any other experiences like this or have any idea what I need to do to help him? It does seem to bother him some as he keeps shaking his head constantly.

I’ve attached pictures from when we found him and then a picture from today, 2 days after incident.

Attachments

• IMG_5921.jpeg
    IMG_5921.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5917.jpeg
    IMG_5917.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6048.png
    IMG_6048.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Welcome to BYC! I’m sorry about your goose. Poor baby. Maybe it is a wasp that stung it? They do leave tiny thorn shaped stingers behind. Wasp stings are weird that in humans they sometimes take days to go down and continue to swell and change size during that period. It can be alarming, although it is part of the process. And they hurt! I haven’t had any poultry get stung by one, so I am not a ton of help, but can geese take Benadryl? I think I’ve heard of people treating their chickens with it.

My gander got stung by a bee or a wasp a couple of years ago. He looked like a Beluga whale for a week! It took about 6 weeks before he looked completely like himself again.

The vet gave him a shot of hydrocortisone to reduce the swelling and I gave him Meloxicam (painkiller) twice a day for a week.

E3DC8D45-8911-45F2-B037-AD8942CFC9C2_1_201_a.jpeg
E3DC8D45-8911-45F2-B037-AD8942CFC9C2_1_201_a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom