Dewormers

There are lots of things people claim work, however the chemicals are the best way to truly get rid of worms. It is not worth the risk of losing birds.

Wazine will take care of round worms.

Safeguard will take care of all worms except tape worms.

And Valbazen will take care of everything.

Last edited:
There are lots of things people claim work, however the chemicals are the best way to truly get rid of worms. It is not worth the risk of losing birds.

Wazine will take care of round worms.

Safeguard will take care of all worms except tape worms.

And Valbazen will take care of everything.
How much safe guard do you give a chicken?

Have you had fecals run to identify an actual parasite problem? There's no reason to 'just worm' chickens without having a real problem. And there's no approved wormer for laying hens, so for them, everything is not okay to use. I no longer give wormer to my flock, because there's not a problem with them.
Pumpkin seeds and other 'natural wormers' just don't actually manage an actual infection. Mary

I use the liquid safeguard goat wormer. You can get it at Tractor Supply. For standard sized birds around 5 to 6 pounds, I give a 1/2 ml under the tongue orally with an empty syringe, once a day for 4 or 5 days. Repeat in 10 days. If you use the safeguard paste, use a pea sized dolup. You can either squeeze it under the tongue or hide it in a tiny piece of bread. My birds are very leary of medicated bread. LOL Anyway, same with the liquid, use once a day for 4 or 5 days, repeat in 10 days.

Good luck! :)

Ivermectin also works, and is much easier to dose. One treatment, then again in ten to fourteen days. Neither drug is approved for laying hens, so egg withdrawal times are 'what's comfortable for you', and very iffy if you are selling those eggs.
Also, flock management; why are they so infected/ affected? Ivermectin will also kill mites and lice, if that's a problem too. Wet conditions? Pond access? Older 'swap meet' birds? Nutrition?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom