Deworming chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyPetNugget, Aug 12, 2014.

1. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I read on here that you need to deworm your chickens yearly or every 6 months. I didn't know this and I don't ever want them to get worms. [​IMG] Is there a natural way to deworm them without any medicine? I've also heard somewhere that feeding them squash and things like that will help prevent worms. Is this true? And if not are there any other ways? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. BethLeopard

BethLeopard Out Of The Brooder

The people at the feed store where I purchased my chicks told me to use apple cider vinegar in their drinking water.... 2 capfuls to 1 gallon as a natural wormer and preventative.

SuziQ18 likes this.
  3. MyPetNugget

Wow! thanks so much! [​IMG] That should be super easy to do. Is there a recommended brand? Or can I just use any kind?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vinegar will not deworm your chickens. If you want to treat for all chicken worms, Valbazen would be good, SafeGuard Goat wormer or horse paste will treat all but tapeworms. Wazine will only get roundworms. It depends on the conditions where you live for how often you worm. Twice a year is the average to worm, but people living in hot humid areas may need to do it more often.

2 people like this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The people at the feed store gave you misinformation. ACV will not prevent nor treat worms. I've used it for years and my birds still got worms.
    There are plenty of products available for worming: Wazine, Safeguard, Valbazen, Pyrantal Pamoate are just a few.

2 people like this.
  6. MyPetNugget

oh, I see. I actually have never wormed my chickens before, ( I didn't know). It does get humid quite often. Were would I get any of those products? Do they carry them at TSC? Or maybe amazon? My chickens don't have any signs of worms now, but I was just reading about them and wanted to be preventive. I 've heard that sometimes squash prevents worms; is this true? Thank you so much for your help!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Squash seeds are questionable at best. I use what I know is effective against internal parasites, no guesswork about it. Our TSC carries wazine and safeguard liquid goat wormer. I recommend the safeguard liquid goat wormer, it costs about $20 for the 125ml bottle and has a 2-3 year expiration date. Administer the wormer orally undiluted using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 3/4cc orally to each chicken for 3 days in a row for large birds, 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

Twinsnchickens likes this.
  8. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    Ok found this. I treated with wazine for 24 hours. Then water with probiotics for 2 days. The durvet is here. Do I inject the durvet straight from the container into the syringe with no needle and give it to each one?

9. BethLeopard

So I can use goat wormer for my chickens?

10. BethLeopard

I have goats so I actually have a supply of the wormer...Do I refrain from eating the eggs during this worming period? I have not seen evidence of worms either...are there some worms that you can't see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by