Deworming chickens

cofarmgirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
This is in no way a new question, but I'd like to hear what people use and recommend for deworming their flocks. Any extra relevant information is wonderful, too.

I use Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats/cattle or horse paste. I'm sort of OCD when it comes to medicating animals, so mine are always weighed and dosed based on their weight. The one day Safeguard dose I use is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds (50mg/kg), that I use to treat just round worms and cecal worms. If I suspect capillary worms, I give 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds *five* days in a row.

When I do the one day dose I repeat it in ten days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If you can, take a few fecal samples to a vet and have them do a fecal float. That should give you an idea of what worms you have and how best to treat them. :D

-Kathy

Would you still recommend the same dosage amount for 16-week-old California White pullets?

I use Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats/cattle or horse paste. I'm sort of OCD when it comes to medicating animals, so mine are always weighed and dosed based on their weight. The one day Safeguard dose I use is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds (50mg/kg), that I use to treat just round worms and cecal worms. If I suspect capillary worms, I give 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds *five* days in a row.

When I do the one day dose I repeat it in ten days.

-Kathy
Thank you, Kathy! I am definitely concerned about medicating animals--for their health and our own when we consume their eggs. What made you choose Safeguard (i.e., how did you hear about it)?

Last edited:
Picked Safeguard for several reasons...

Can use it on horses, foals, cats, dogs, puppies, kittens, birds of all types and ages, etc.
My vet recommended it. :D
It's *very* safe.
It's easy to get.
Easy to give.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom