Deworming DD: Cecal worm or Capillaria? Individual/Whole Flock?

Safeguard is Fenbendazole, a Benzimidazole which is poorly absorbed and mostly excreted. It is a very safe wormer. We eat the eggs after using it and the same for Valbazen which is normally my go to wormer which requires only two dosings per bird.

I ask because I already have Safe-Guard (liquid dewormer for goats, 10% sol fenbendazole). I know the recommended dose is 0.23ml /lb body weight per day, for five days for capillaria. For cecal worms it seems it's the same dosage, but just once followed by a repeat treatment in 10 days.
The Safe-Guard label calls for (and many BYCers agree) a doseage of 5mg/kg (2.3mg/lb). But there are other recommendations in the 5-day course to dose much higher. For example, 10-50 mg/kg here.

What dosage would you use?
The correct dose of Safeguard is .23 ml per pound of body weight, orally, for 5 days in a row. That will take care of what you are seeing.
The label is dosing for goats, not chickens. I use Safeguard and Valbazen regularly, that is absolutely the correct dose for chickens.
For the math, see post #4 here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fenbendazole-poisoning.1281129/page-2#post-25993164

I had a fecal test done last week on one of my hens - she has cecal worms and cocciodosis. The vet told me to treat my entire flock. I used Safeguard goat dewormer, 3 cc’s per 1 gallon of water for 4 days (3-5 is recommended). I have to throw away my eggs for 17 days from when they took their last dose. I also switched out the water everyday.

Safeguard goat wormer doesn't mix with water, it settles out. The only Safeguard you can mix in water is Safeguard Aquasol (which is expensive). If you are using the goat wormer you need to dose them orally to make sure they get the correct dose. Correct dose is in post #12 above, for cecal worms you can do 2 doses 10 days apart. For coccidiosis, the medication needed is Corid (amprolium), the Safeguard will not treat coccidiosis. Having coccidia in the droppings does not necessarily mean they are sick with coccidiosis, it depends on the count. Older, healthy birds can carry some coccidia in their guts and their immune system will take care of them. So whether to treat or not for that should be based on the count (numbers seen in the test), your vets advice, and whether they are acting sick or not.

Back
Top Bottom