Deworming in hens

Try safeguard / panacur....it is fenbendazole...whichever is as  effective...use the paste and give a pea sized amount into the mouth of the chicken...you can pull on the wattles to open their mouth..apply and release the wattles immediately to allow them to swallow.

Can I get the safeguard/panacur online??

FYI, just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't have them.

-Kathy
Mine have roundworms, and I can see them. Yuck. The neighbors have a indefinite number of scrawny, feral cats/kittens that spend their time in my chicken yard. Is that likely where they got the worms, and how do you worm a chicken with horse wormer?

Quote: I think cat roundworms are different than poultry roundworms and worming with horse paste can be done the same as the liquid, weigh or guess weight, chose the dose amount, fill a syringe, open beak and give wormer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/745210/how-to-safely-worm-your-peafowl-orally

• If possible, consult your veterinarian.
  • Do not attempt if you cannot safely and gently carry and restrain your bird.
  • Do not attempt if bird's crop is full of water as aspiration can occur from handling.
  • Do not attempt until you know the difference between the oesophagus and the trachea.
  • Do not do if your bird is molting.

• Choose your mg/kg of fenbendazole, liquid or paste. I do 50mg/kg

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Get your supplies ready

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

-Kathy

Last edited:
From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom