Deworming in hens

Hi. We started raising chickens six months ago. Only have 3 (hens). Do we have to worry about deworming if they're free range?? They're in their coop at night, but have 15 acres to forage--they really cover territory!

Do either of you have a small animal vet that can do fecal floats for you? If not, you should consider starting a worming program.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy- regarding the vet, are we looking for worms in the feces? I'd just like to have a little more insight as to what to ask him. Also is there a worming program you would recommend for a beginner other than what you have posted on this thread? I've heard that you should wait until 6 months before you worm, is that not true? I live in MN where its really cold 7-8 months out of the year, how often per year should I be expecting to worm?

Thanks Kathy- regarding the vet, are we looking for worms in the feces? I'd just like to have a little more insight as to what to ask him. Also is there a worming program you would recommend for a beginner other than what you have posted on this thread? I've heard that you should wait until 6 months before you worm, is that not true? I live in MN where its really cold 7-8 months out of the year, how often per year should I be expecting to worm?

Put fresh fecal samples from various birds in a ziplock bag and take them to a vet to be looked at under a microscope. It shouldnt cost much.
It's your soil that dictates how often you should worm your birds. Warm moist or wet soil may require frequent wormings. Cold, mountainous or rocky, or dry desertlike soil may only require worming once or twice a year. Since you live in Minnesota, you may only need to worm once a year. Large roundworms can infect birds at about 8-10 weeks causing the most damage in the first 4-5 months.

Vets can check for worms eggs microscopically by doing a a fecal float and I think also by doing a direct smear. Any vet should know how to do this as it is something they do all the time. If you can't find a vet to do it for a reasonable cost you could look into having your state lab do it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom