Deworming quails?

DE could be effective in reducing the severity of roundworm infestation, BUT 1) I've never read a reputable paper about curing a parasitic infection and 2) most research is restricted to roundworms—may do zip or worse in the presence of tapeworms— and 3) there isn't enough good research on the topic in general. Just go with the chemical wormer.

@Lucy Brown check out this link. There's info halfway down about dosing chickens with goat Safeguard. I used that math when I wormed my quail a couple years ago (requires knowing how much they weigh)—had no problems, ground flock hasn't had an infestation yet.

Holy moly please don't spread myths. This is just not true not possible.
Well if I'm spreading myths then I am misinformed. Definitely not intentional, this is what our local retired zoologist recommend to me like 10ish years ago. Can you direct me to the right information? I'll go look at some studies as well. Information I had seen before showed improved egg laying performance in chickens on DE as well, so I'm a bit feeling confused.

Diatomacious earth is fossilized diatoms. It's mostly silica. If you look at it under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass. Food grade has less silica in it, but it can still be abrasive. If it gets inhaled, it can cause irritation in the lungs or other breathing issues.

It can work to kill small insects as long as it's kept dry because of its abrasive qualities. It basically tears them apart.

The qualities above should be a good indicator of why you should not ingest or breathe diatomacious earth and why it doesn't work for internal parasites. It should not be applied externally to your animals either in case it gets inhaled.

Diatomacious earth is fossilized diatoms. It's mostly silica. If you look at it under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass. Food grade has less silica in it, but it can still be abrasive. If it gets inhaled, it can cause irritation in the lungs or other breathing issues.

It can work to kill small insects as long as it's kept dry because of its abrasive qualities. It basically tears them apart.

The qualities above should be a good indicator of why you should not ingest or breathe diatomacious earth and why it doesn't work for internal parasites. It should not be applied externally to your animals either in case it gets inhaled.
Oh, I am aware of all that. I thought you meant it was ineffective at killing internal parasites. They make a "pre-wetted" version for external application. I found the study from 2011 that I had read. DE can be used safely, and should not used in dust bathes but it had many other useful applications.
Here's the link to the study if anyone's interested. I am a Health and Science major and do my due diligence in research before I do anything or advise someone. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...rms+in+fowl&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=VmPF1EM7aS4J

Oh, I am aware of all that. I thought you meant it was ineffective at killing internal parasites. They make a "pre-wetted" version for external application. I found the study from 2011 that I had read. DE can be used safely, and should not used in dust bathes but it had many other useful applications.
Here's the link to the study if anyone's interested. I am a Health and Science major and do my due diligence in research before I do anything or advise someone. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,44&q=diatomaceous+earth+for+intestinal+worms+in+fowl&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=VmPF1EM7aS4J
It is ineffective at killing internal parasites. I was trying to give a bit more information on why.

It is ineffective at killing internal parasites. I was trying to give a bit more information on why.
Not effective on all parasites would be more accurate. Show me something backed up by a controlled study versus inferred meanings based off of inhalation risk, and perceived loss of efficiency when moist. DE also provides a numerous amount of beneficial minerals, including the silica, that are bioavailable. It is important people understand that inhaling dry dust (which would be a result from improper usage) can result in permanent deposits of silica that can cause a miner's type ling disease.

I will admit that there isn't a lot of information on birds, but I read this one a while back on cattle.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-beef-steers/1E1900A4511C675D94FFFB0818EAB60B

Note: all five or so papers I could ever find (that were in English or had translations provided) on DE and birds point to it being significantly effective (not the same thing as functionally effective, mind) at reducing the severity of infestation by Ascaris species as measured by the number of eggs recovered from feces.

It's not exactly safe to say it works—especially not against all worms—but it would be uninformed to call it ineffective.

Definitely more research required. I won't be giving it to my quail, but I won't tell people not to use it except to warn them away from giving birds an opportunity to breathe it in. Birds lack a diaphragm so can't cough to forcefully clear their airway, and their air sacs are so delicate that diatom shells are very likely to irritate or worse.

I will admit that there isn't a lot of information on birds, but I read this one a while back on cattle.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-beef-steers/1E1900A4511C675D94FFFB0818EAB60B
I did see that study when I was looking for the other study on chickens as well, the thing is they were looking at coccidia and nematodes, not intestinal worms. And as a side note it kills me to read how they treat cattle, feedlots are just evil. I definitely do not throw advice out "willy nilly" and only ever share things I've personally researched, used/experienced. I can see why one would come to the conclusion that DE is ineffective when wet, but it's just less effective in comparison to when it was dry. The quail specific studies all focus on different outcomes regarding egg laying and such, rather than antiparasitic applications.

Back
Top Bottom