1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deworming question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by synoviaus, Oct 14, 2009.

1. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    What is a safe dewormer to feed to layers? I want to keep my laying flock parasite free, but all the wormers I have seen don't recommend using it on layers. Any natural and safe remedies out there? Thanks, Amy

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    The natural wormers--pumpkin seeds, DE -- are not necessarily effective. You can use Wazine or Ivermectin on layers. You just have to discard the eggs for awhile. Are you sure you have worms or is it just a precaution? dlhunicorn(sp?) has several great threads about parasite control.

3. synoviaus

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    I'm not positive my chickens have worms, but they run free range over 47 acres of pasture and woods. We also raise bluetick coonhounds, and worry they will cross contaminate each other with parasites. The chickens love to get into the dog pens and eat leftovers. I want to keep everyone happy and healthy. So, I'm looking for something I can give on a regular schedule to prevent problems. Amy

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I read a post about feeding them pumpkin seeds followed with buttermilk and that they will poo out worms. On the post it said it stuns the worms and you will find clumps on the ground if they have them. I never tried this, just happened to read that it's a natural wormer. Maybe you can search on here for it. Hope this helps.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Most parasites only infect one species of host, so I wouldnt worry too much about chickens getting dog parasites

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
  7. mygirls55

mygirls55 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    I just read about how to deworm chickens "naturally" in my magazine I recieved yesterday. It is very a lengthy article....It basically consists of feeding them pumpkin, carrots, dandylion leaves and garlic.
    Cut the pumpkin in half, and just throw in some grated carrots, dandylion leaves and garlic....they will eventually eat it. Says to let them eat this for like 2 weeks, and it will also kill the worm eggs that are inside?
    Dont know if it works, as I havent tried it....but will down the line.
    I dont like using chemical anything on my animals, and avoid it as much as I possibly can.

8. synoviaus

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Thanks everyone. Lots of good information. Amy

9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:I read the same article and tried it (after using the wazine that I really didn't want to use) instead of the booster dose to get rid of the eggs that may be left. and I haven't seen a wormy poop since we dosed them with the wazine. I was kind of upset because I didn't read the article until after using the wazine (and my internet was down at the time, so I couldn't come here), throwing all the eggs out really was heartbreaking, because it was like 16 a day. and that 2 weeks they suggest you wait to eat the eggs, took forever. but they are all healthy and my yard is dandelion free lol. luckily we did this at the peak of pumpkin season, so they weren't that expensive. I will make a planting of these ingredients for next year, that way I won't have to buy anything. the article says the pumpkin seeds anesthnetizes(sp?) the worms, the dandelion helps them poo them out and replenish some nutrients, the carrots help them not to dehydrate, and the garlic...well I can't remember what it said it was good for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by